How to change one file permissions

Brass Contributor

Hi

We have Office 365 -group Sharepoint Online site (customer.sharepoint.com/sites/groupsitename) and there is a bunch of files at the Documents folder.

There is few files that I would need to set so that only few people has modification permissions for these files. All the members of the Group has modification persmission to all files at the moment.

How can change the permission for these few files so that not all have modification permission to the files and the for the Group members has only view permission for these files?

15 Replies
The Group site is a SPO site so you can still do the same you can do in any other SPO site: configure security at different scopes: document library, list, document, list item
I really hope they move to that model for other products "Planner, Teams etc." makes it so nice when you need, would support guests for just individual products tied to a group etc. help with Private channels. Sorry to off topic your post, but reading this just brings that to mind, I really hate how the Group model works sometimes. Makes sense for Internal Teams, but introducing guests throws that around.

@Juan Carlos González Martín

Hi Juan, if I understand well what he means, @Iivo Kerminen has a Group-connected team site with a document library and he would like to configure some Members of the Group with read-only permission and some with read-write permission.

AFAIK this is not possible (and anyway not recommended).

Am I wrong?

@Salvatore Biscari to a degree yes. Connected group sites Members can be restricted from documents and items etc. on the connected SharePoint site, but owners cannot. Reason being, owners are site collection admins, but members are nothing but a group user added to the Members SharePoint group on the site. 

So basically you can remove (stop inheriting) permissions for a list/library/item etc. and add customize the permissions there. If you don't want Office 365 Group members to see the content you remove the Members SharePoint group and then add the individual users (or create a new SharePoint group with the users), and at that point only those users and the Group "Owners" can access that content. 

Totally possible...but if the question is: is it advisable? Maybe not :-).
Agree. It should be a very rare exception otherwise your looking at a headache down the road.

Hi

I am not looking to change permissions for the whole group, just for few files in a Document -folder in the Group SP site.

I haven't found a way to control the permissions for one file. If I try this at non-Group related SP site, I can easily choose a file and then set who has read and who has read-write to that file (Owners, Members, Guests) but when file is in a Document -folder in a Group-related SP site, I am not able to do this??

So is it by design that this is not possible??

There is no difference between group and classic sites when it comes to the ability to set permissions on files. You probably just aren't used to the UI being modern vs classic?  You click the file, then on the info tab, "Manage Access" link, then advanced permissions to get to the old style view for the document. 

@Deleted, have you tested this?

I have tested this.

If I try to change permissions of a file that is in SP site not related to a Group, I can click the file and from the info tab I can click "Manage Access" and I can choose new permissions to a security group (Owners, Members, Guests) or invite some person.

But when I do this same at Group related SP site, I can not change permissions for these security groups (Owners, Members, Guests). There is no switch like there is in a site not related to O365 Group.

For example, I can not set permissions so that Members for that site has read access but owners has read-write access. This switch can be found from a non group-related site for a file.

Yea I do it all the time with my IT Operations site which is a group site (including Teams on it) letting others come in and only view certain lists pertaining to finance.
can you screenshot where you are getting stuck, maybe we can see something your missing.

At basic Sharepoint Site I get the dropdown to choose permission, as seen below screen shot:

Näyttökuva 2018-6-27 kello 14.23.56.png

But in Group Related Sharepoint Site, I do not get that dropdown, as seen below screen capture:

Näyttökuva 2018-6-27 kello 14.26.53.png

Right. I just noticed that it seems so that only Group Admins can change file permissions in Group related Sharepoint Sites..

You should be able to click grant access up there above to get onto the advanced view. My guess that file is inheriting from parent so you can’t change it individually. So you need to go into advanced mode. Break Inheritance then you can set custom permissions.
Oh. Didn’t see This reply. Yes owners can only change permissions to sites, memebers only get edit rights.