How do I find the Azure location of my SharePoint Online files?

Iron Contributor
Hi,
I would like to use the SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) in an Azure VM. As we know SPMT implements the SharePoint Online Migration API.

Reading through the docs, I read this:
"The container is housed in a shared Microsoft storage, outside the tenant, but within the region"
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/migrate-to-sharepoint-online/how-the-sharepoint-migratio...

I would like my Azure VM to be in the same region as the temporary Azure Container. The temporary Azure Container is in the same region as the tenant.

Hence, I would like to know the region of my SharePoint Online tenant. How do I find out?

I tried this:
O365 Admin Portal => Settings => Organisation Profile.
It only shows 'United Kingdom'.
However, Azure has 'UK West' and 'UK South' regions, not sure which one to select.

Hence, I need to find out a specific region for my SharePoint Online site. How do I find out this information?

Thanks,
5 Replies
If your SPO tenant is located in the UK, you have to provision your VM also in the UK...you cannot get more information about the details of where your data is located and also the Azure part used by the SPMT.
Thanks, I see that.

But, where in the UK do I create my Azure VM, 'UK SOUTH' OR 'UK WEST'? As I would need it to be in the same location as SharePoint Online.

Thanks,
Why do you need it to be in the same location?

As long as it is in the UK, you are unlikely to see a significant performance difference between UK South and UK West.

Because, data transfer between Azure Services in the same region are free and faster.

"Is data transfer between Azure services located within the same region charged?
No. For example, an Azure SQL database in the same region will not have any additional data transfer costs." Source: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/pricing/details/bandwidth/

@Haneef Ibn Ahmad - this was a valid question in my opinion. Have you been able to find an answer?