How can I have my old colored ribbon icons in Outlook? After update 1809 (Build 10827.20138)

Copper Contributor

How can I have my old colored ribbon icons in outlook?

Changed with update 1809 (Build 10827.20138)

I already visited this article but I want back my colored icons.

https://support.office.com/it-it/article/your-ribbon-icons-have-a-new-look-c6bc4cd8-d151-41d3-8276-f...

Thanks

12 Replies
switch your release schedule to semi-annual (tenant, or registry/GPO for yourself). But eventually this will be standard for all office.

Totally agreed. For me Office is UNUSABLE with these new icons, just totally distracting and off putting. 

To roll back to the sane icons you need to disable updates and revert to a sane build (See FIX below).

(MICROSOFT you are forcing me to forgoe security updates to have Sane / Usable icons?)

*********** FIX ***********  (This works for Office 365 / Version 2016)

In an Office 365 Program, e.g. Outlook

Click File -> "Office Account". Under "Updates" choose "Disable".

Then, in an elevated command prompt and type the following:-

cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun"

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.10730.20102

Reopen office programs and your icons will be reverted.

I hope that someone comes up with a way (e.g. via a resource editor) to change the icons in modern builds so that I can have security updates again.

Cheers,

Luke.

Luke, you are the best!

Thanks!

Thanks microsoft for letting me try thunderbird. It works very well! ;)

https://www.thunderbird.net

I'm hoping this works for me too in Word ( Yay! It does! Thank you!) . I opened to find all my custom toolbar icons, carefully selected to be distinct and easily selectable, to be larger, cartoon-like and basically 50 shades of grey. If I wanted eye candy I would have gone elsewhere. If MS want to push products for the simple masses why don't they produce a cheery plebby version for them and a decent version for us that want to modify menus/icons/macros rather than constantly changing functions and usability for everyone at once, usually at the expense of serious users.

At least give us the option of what new "features" to accept, I'm really not that fussed about being able to embed a dino with a beating heart .

I've got exactly the opposite problem. Outlook on one of my machines is showing the new style icons, but the other is still stuck on the old ones.

Both machines are running Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.10827.20181) 64-bit, so I don't understand why they're not identical.

As you can read in the article there's a reason for the change. Just get use to it. In a year or so you forgotten about the old ones.

This worked for the icons and removing the recent flat design rendering Outlook emails composing to rather useless / inoperable. Thx Luke, now reverted to a much more useful Outlook and Word product.

I've had the new gray, blah, 2-dimensional icons since subscribing to 365 last year and can't get used to them. I'm very disappointed in the poor graphics quality. I came across this community while searching to find if better ribbon graphics existed that perhaps I was not aware of.

Really? Not a great attitude to have to customers, like it or go elsewhere? OK, elsewhere it will have to be then.

@Allan527 @Susan Coward Hi,

For now this key still does the job. Probably, it will stop working in the future but here it is:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentEcs\Overrides]
"ofg1hdkzibqt1j0"="false"

@Ricardo Viana 

Ah, that certainly looks an interesting solution, rather than being stuck forever on a previous build version after resubscribing. Will give that a try too. Thank you!

Tried it (set the default value to the quoted strings you posted, but didn't see any changes after restarting Office apps. Was I supposed to create a new KEY, with the value "false"?