Highlighting words in Outlook. Option to not select entire word

Copper Contributor

I once changed a setting that got rid of that horrible 'highlighting the entire word' when I'm holding shift and using the arrows to select text.

I was able to turn this off before but I can't for the life of me remember where it is.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, when you highlight a word in the editor using your arrow keys, you may want to delete part of a word, not the whole thing. but by default Outlook 365 automatically grabs not only the entire word, but it also selects the spaces before the word.

I found a way to turn this off and the highlighting worked as I expected, i just can't find that option anymore.

thoughts?

4 Replies

Ugh, this always happens to me. 10 minutes after posting i find the solution.

options, editor options, advanced 

uncheck 'when selecting, automatically select entire word'

for anyone that's not tried it, you may find it useful.

@John Thompson 

Follow these 2 simple steps for Microsoft Outlook 2016 -

Step 1:

koustubhmasurkar_0-1600696141765.png

Step 2:

koustubhmasurkar_1-1600696166647.png

Cheers,

@koustubhmasurkar, three years on this is still great advice. Thank you!

This option is turned off and Outlook STILL highlights the whole word, sentence, etc when I don't want it to. Seriously Microsoft, you guys screw up the smallest things constantly.  Your OS is garbage and I'm convinced you'll never get your act together. You're a bunch of hacks who cornered the market and I really wish you'd go bankrupt and give someone else a shot at a decent OS. You suck.