Guest Access - Previously "linked" accounts

Copper Contributor

Most of the time Guest access to Groups (and now Teams) works...depending how quickly the invite email fires. We've seen just about every issue everyone else has, but now something new has cropped up...

We have fired off two invites to external users. They have received the invites, and when clicking on either the Group or Team invite email they are prompted for a "password" they no longer remember. The email to Microsoft account creation process is not initiated. These external users have never linked their accounts to our tenant. They report that they "experimented" with OneDrive some time ago, but they are not an O365 organization.

I've looked around the interwebs seeing if there was guidance I could pass on to their organization for resetting in some manner their accounts with whatever MS service they must have linked to. Has anyone seen this? They have attempted to recover their passwords with no success...

Thanks!

3 Replies

If they "experimented with OneDrive," they needed a Microsoft account that's probably based on the email address that you are trying to use for a guest account. Have they attempted to recover the password as per https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/4026971/microsoft-account-how-to-reset-your-password? 

Thanks Tony...I know they attempted to reset their passwords from the Enter Password prompt (Forgot my password) link, but they were unsuccessful.

I will forward this page on, hopefully with more success.

Most people have Skype. I always tell people use your skype account when they get the invite and they get right in easy. Regardless where the e-mail gets sent, they can associate it with any of their MSA's, so just using Skype works.

However that said, if this person was sent a "Specific People" link from someone else in your org prior to the new code based access they could have already linked their e-mail to another MSA account for your tenant. You can go into your Azure portal and find the guest account for that e-mail address and remove this if they cannot for whatever reason get into that MSA account. That way the e-mail address they have will be able to associate now with a different MSA account.