SOLVED

Groups not showing up in Outlook 2016

Steel Contributor

I have Groups setup in 365 but I cannot see them in the left panel of Outlook 2016, and when I browse for Groups, I do not see the Groups. Any ideas? Thank you.

27 Replies

@adam deltinger 

I ran the PowerShell command and waited a day and the Group still doesn't show up in Outlook. Any other suggestions?

powershell_get-unifiedgroup.png

Can you check in the admin portal if you are a member of the team? Not just owner? Don’t know if this is relevant for you, but it’s a common thing, depending on how you created the group

@adam deltinger 

I am a member and an owner.

@adam deltinger 

I opened a group that works in a browser, copied the URL and replaced the group name with the one that doesn't work. The two groups have different apps, which is most likely the problem. I don't know how to go about adding the missing apps though. Any suggestions? I'm guessing there's a PowerShell script I can use to create the connection or enable those apps (Mail, Calendar, and Files), but I haven't found anything yet.

o365-groups-with-different-apps.png

@adam deltingerThanks - this coupled with the link to Exchange Online Powershell on your later post worked for me.

@Jason Barnes  Did you ever figure out an answer to your question. I'm running into this now and can't figure out how to add additional microsoft services to an office 365 group.

I am confused as some of my colleagues see the groups in Outlook 2016 and I am not.

Update: But the "cache" solution seems to have worked.

@dmowry Sorry for the late response, but maybe this will help someone else. Check these flags:

-HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled

-HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled

I think it's the ExchangeClients one that needs to be set to false:

-HiddenFromExchangeClientsEnabled:$false

Then make sure someone has been added as a Member to the Group (ie. yourself). Sometimes when I create Groups I'm only added as an Admin and Owner, and when that happens it seems like the other apps like Planner don't actually get provisioned. I add myself as a Member and navigate to the Planner resource for the Group, and it seems to kick off the process to provision the resources.

For example, when not a Member, I try and add the Planner web part to a Modern page. It says there are no Planner to add and if I manually visit the URL that should point to the Planner for that Group it will not exist. I add myself to the Members group and suddenly everything works and exists. That took me awhile to figure out. This was recently that I experienced this, and it was reproducible across multiple tenants and multiple Groups in those different tenants. There's a chance it only happened on sites I copied in to the tenants (using Sharegate), but I'm not 100% sure it was only copied in sites.