SOLVED

Group and User Mix-up

Copper Contributor

Hi,

My client was setting up his groups and users in MS Exchange Admin center and has, by mistake, created a single user registered with their company email and 3 groups - each registered as personal email. We want to swap this - 3 users that registered with their own personal emails and are in a single group that is registered with the company email. Is this even possible to begin with? Can I export everything from them and delete them and then remake them and import all data? I understand that I can turn a User into a shared mailbox - does this count as a group? They want to keep their old emails if possible.
Thanks in advance,

A.B.

3 Replies

There's no direct path for converting user mailbox into a group one, you will have to manually copy the items. Note that export to PST wont help, as you cannot import to an O365 Group. Just manual copy via OWA.

And yes, shared mailbox might be a more viable solution.

@Vasil Michev 

Thanks for the quick response and good advice.

I wanted to know if I deleted the groups, will it allow me to use the same email for the user? Do I maybe have to wait for 30 days (or more) for it to get deleted and then be able to use the same email to create a user?

best response confirmed by Ruby_Monday (Copper Contributor)
Solution

You can delete it and reuse the address almost immediately. Or you can just remove it from the group without deleting it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ruby_Monday (Copper Contributor)
Solution

You can delete it and reuse the address almost immediately. Or you can just remove it from the group without deleting it.

View solution in original post