Community Manager

Sonia.jpg

Sonia Cuff

Job Title: Co-Founder

Company Name: The Missing Chair

MVP Profile

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/soniacuff/

Twitter: @Cuff_S

1. Why do you enjoy working with small businesses? What’s most rewarding?

I love that technology projects have a shorter sales process, because we’re usually working with the decision maker from the start. Then once we have the green light to proceed, we also see those initiatives resulting in real business benefits in a short timeframe too. Ultimately building long term relationships is the most rewarding, where you feel like a part of their small business and they know you always have their best interests at heart.

1. What advice do you have for small business owners that want to work with a consultant?

Make sure your consultant is interested in your business and how you work. The consultant should ask a bunch of questions about your short term and long term plans and challenges, and how things get done in your business, to make sure their advice is appropriate to you. Also, trust your consultant. It’s hard to see outside of the walls of your own business, but consultants see similar problems across many businesses. Have a little faith in what they recommend.   

1. How has the IT industry changed since you started your career?

Oh gosh, well I started supporting 286 PCs running DOS so a lot has changed! Aside from technical components like Active Directory, Solid State Drives, virtualization and Cloud Computing, the industry itself is a lot broader and there are many more opportunities to learn new skills.

1. How do you stay up-to-date with current and emerging industry trends, and how do you share that information with clients?

I have a number of trusted sources (online publications and key people or corporate accounts) that I follow, across a wide range of subjects. My morning routine is scanning those sources with my coffee, to get the latest announcements on my radar. Then I deep-dive into things when I need too. Living on Twitter and LinkedIn helps too!  Then I’ll share content, adding my own thoughts, or I’ll blog on my own websites. For my close clients, it’s about surfacing that information to them when they need it, when I see a need in their business or just during conversations about how things are going in their world.

1. What advice do you have for the community to help others achieve their career goals?

Always be learning. I love that our industry is always changing, so you have to go wide with your what you take in but go deep with what you’re really interested in. A passion for sharing and helping others goes a long way too. Stay curious and talk with people outside of your immediate bubble.

0 Replies