F1 FirstLine workers and Hybrid Exchange deployment

Copper Contributor

We currently have a hybrid Exchange / office 365 environment with a view to going full cloud mail.  We do not normally give our homeworkers email, but I am interested in the F1 licensing as we also want to move SharePoint online.  The F1 license looks perfect while not being overly expensive. 

I am testing at the moment, have moved a test mailbox online, and assigned an F1 license to it.  Now I cannot send email to it.  The online mailbox can send email fine, but my on prem mailbox sends, but it doesn't arrive at the test MB.  I can "work around" this by usin the onmicrosoft mail address, but that is not acceptable.

I find conflicting info online - some say Hybrid is ok, others say not.

Any advice?

6 Replies
It should work fine. Is this mailbox the only one you have moved to cloud? Or have you moved other E licenses over and they work? Need to determine if it's a config issue in general or tied directly to the F1 user.
It's the only on prem mailbox I have moved to cloud so far. I don't want to risk losing any data until happy to move fully. I have an Admin account that is solely O365 "in cloud" and that is working fine, but it does not have the company.com mail address - just the onmicrosoft one.

To be clear - I have no E licenses, just Business Premium. The mailbox having issues was originally given a Bus Prem license when it was moved over. Today I started testing the F1 and swapped the licenses over.

How did you perform the move? And what kind of object remains for this user on-premises? Generally speaking, you need to have a mail user, with its targetaddress pointing to user@tenant.mail.onmicrosoft.com.

Yeah, seems like you might now have the proper Hybrid connector configuration. Usually any mailbox moved to 365 will have the target address Vasil pointed out and a connector tied to that domain to route the e-mail to 365 and vice versa. If this isn't present then it will not know how to route the e-mail. So you'll want to check your connectors in your on-prem servers and look for the one for the mail.onmicrosoft.com domain routing.
Thanks Gents

I ran the hybrid config wizard prior to all this. Checking connectors on prem, I can see an "Inbound from Office365", but no outbound. Should it have created one? Do I have to run the wizard again, or can I create it manually?

Appreciate the assistance

Rerun the wizard. Technically, redirect to the onmicrosoft.com address should work even without connector, but you might as well fix that too.