External Users in SharePoint Online

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

Can you please let us know abilities of External users (what they can do and they cant) in SharePoint Online environment? The differences between Internal users and external users? For example, if an internal user is given SCA access, they can provide access SCA to another user. Can same be implemented by External users.  I see few articles like below having some points. But they are 2 years old. Please let me know the latest updates

https://vigneshsharepointthoughts.com/2016/01/27/sharepoint-online-external-users-can-and-cant/

Thanks,

M. Gubendra Raj

2 Replies
It depends on the permissions you provide to the external user...SPO does not check if the user is a corporate user or a external one, once the user is added to the site, what she/he can do is determined by the permissions assigned through a SharePoint Group or directly assigning a permission level

One thing I've noticed is that external sharing users don't see the full suite bar (the very top navigation bar in Office 365).  I tell my internal users to use the SharePoint page (SharePoint tile in the apps launcher) as a sites directory.  This isn't an option for external sharing users, so they must save the link to the site as a bookmark/favorite in the browser, or keep the sharing invitation email.