Exchange 2010 Hybrid Migration to Office 365.

Copper Contributor

Hi Guys!

I seem to have a big problem with migrating on premise Exchange 2010 mail accounts over to Office 365 tenant. I have logged this with Microsoft multiple times, and not really getting anywhere - I keep been sent back and forwards between the On prem and O365 team... I will provide all steps taken and config below: 

Server Config:

Windows SBS 2008 R2, SP1

Exchange 2010

Steps done:

Verified the Office 365 txt record for the domain.

Configured AD sync, so mailboxes are appearing in the 365 portal.

Issue at hand:

When trying to run the Office Hybrid Migration Wizard, it errors at the end every time. I fill in all the correct details, step by step and get the following:

-The connection to the server "x" could not be completed. EWS/Mrsproxy.svc failed.

-Error details could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.

Steps advised and taken to try resolve:

-Server Reboot 

-Try create endpoint in Office 365 portal manually *Fails

-Enabled MRS proxy through power shell 

-Restarted IIS 

Additional Info: 

-A PST restore is just not feasible, there is around 20 mailboxes all 30-40GB

-Can browse to EWS/OWA Pages externally

-Server has self signed certificates

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

C

5 Replies

Hi @chuns2000,

You will need a valid Public certificate to implement hybrid.

Please read more here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/hybrid-deployment-prerequisites

Best Regards,
Nuno Árias Silva 

@chuns2000, if you are using a public certificate, the problem probably could be a firewall SSL inspection or a proxy.

Best Regards

Have a nice day

@Nuno Silva Thanks, I will import a public cert and go from there. I will let you know if it works. 

Sign in to Microsoft 365 or Office 365 with your work or school account.

Choose Setup > Domains.

On the Domains- page, click Add domain to start the domain wizard.

Choose Add domain

On the Add a domain page, type in the domain name (for example, Contoso.com) you use for your on-premises Exchange organization and then choose Next.

On the Verify domain page, select either Sign in to GoDaddy (if your DNS records are managed by GoDaddy) or Add a TXT record instead for any other registrars > Next.

Follow the instructions provided for your DNS hosting provider. The TXT record usually is chosen to verify ownership.

You can also find the instructions in Create DNS records at any DNS hosting provider for Office 365.

After you add your TXT or MX record, wait about 15 minutes before proceeding to the next step.

In the domain wizard, choose done, verify now, and you'll see a verification page. Choose Finish.

If the verification fails at first, wait awhile, and try again.

Do not continue to the next step in the domains wizard. You now have verified that you own the on-premises Exchange organization domain and are ready to continue with an email migration.

You will finish setting up your domain after the migrations are complete.

If you look for a highly advanced and user-oriented solution for migrating exchange 2010 to Office 365 then it would be best to use shoviv office 365 migration tool for any version of exchange server. Smoothly perform a step by step migration from exchange 2010 to office 365.

Read more:  Migrate Exchange 2010 to Office 365