Excel Starts Running Very Slow After 15-20 Minutes Usage

Copper Contributor

I run Excel 365 (part of Office 365 package) on a Surface Book with latest version of Windows 10 Pro (10.0.18363 Build 18363), Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2808 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s), 16GB RAM.   Excel used primarily for complex financial modeling (typical investment banking M&A and private equity investment models).  Excel opens quickly and for the first 15-20 minutes works perfectly.  However, after say 20 minutes, there can be a 3-5 second lag between inputting a value (number or formula) in a cell and the program executing that input.  This is exasperating and renders the program unusable.  The only solution I have found is to close out all programs and reboot the laptop, which is hardly a practical option.  This solves the problem only for another 20 minutes or so, when the problem reoccurs.  I would appreciate any advice on how to deal with this.  I have not found any recent articles on Office Support.  Thanks.

4 Replies
can you maybe add CPU load and memory consumption values or graphs of Excel start and begin of input delay issue to understand system ressource related effects? Have you already tried with a more or less empty / simple excel file - any difference?

I have tried with both a new spreadsheet as well as working with an existing model -- no difference.  I will screenshot the usage info and post when I next have the program open.  

also, here are the BIOS info: SMBIOSBIOS Version 92.3192.768

@wolw6789 

Here are the screenshots showing CPU usage and performance.  I am currently using the program and experiencing the lag.   @wolw6789