Everything about O365 Storage

Steel Contributor

I found several tech articles concerning O365 Storage questions, however i'm still missing the big picture. Hopefully one of you can help me.

I would like to know where each of the O365 Applications stores the data (e.g site collection, native in the app, ...)  and if it is counted to the tenant storage.

EXO (mailfile) - 50GB (100GB) / user   ---> does not count to tenant storage

OfB - 1 TB / user --> does not count to tenant storage

SharePoint ---> Yes, it counts to the tenant storage, all Site Collectoins (hub, teamsites, video)

Planner ---> Yes, it counts (via O365 Group Team Site)

Tasks ---> Yes, it counts (via O365 Group Team Site)

PowerBI ---> Yes, it counts (via O365 Group Team Site)

Video ---> Yes, it counts (via SPO Site)

OneNote ---> Yes, it counts (via O365 Group Team Site)

Teams ---> Yes, it counts (via O365 Group Team Site) but what about Chat messages ???

Yammer ???

Sway ???

Flow ???

Skype ??? (Attachments uploaded?)

Dynamics ???

Please correct the above list in case i got something wrong. For the 4 items with ??? i hope someone knows an answer :)

thank you

19 Replies

For Yammer (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Yammer-security-FAQ-Yammer-admin-guide-a2c84111-1da6-4c70-8...)

Q: What are the limitations of the solution (number of users, networks, documents, storage, access, and so on)?

A: Yammer is designed as a SaaS, multitenant environment with scale in mind. The only limit is that of file size. An individual file cannot be larger than 5 GB in Yammer Enterprise (100 MB Yammer Free.) Yammer supports unlimited users, unlimited files, unlimited external networks, and unlimited document types.

Sway (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Frequently-asked-questions-about-Sway-–-Admin-Help-446380fa...)

Where is data stored in Sway?

Sway data is stored in Azure within United States data centers and is working to support data centers worldwide. Sways do not count against your OneDrive for Business storage quota.

Dynamics depends on the subscription: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj191611.aspx

SfBO doesnt have any specifc storage, ExO mailboxes are used instead. Peer-to-peer file transfers are not covered.

Not sure if you can even store document in Flow? Some of the SharePoint folks might be able to answer that :)

My 2 cents here:

- Teams ---> Yes, it counts (via O365 Group Team Site) but what about Chat messages ??? -> Chat messages are persisted in the Microsoft Teams Storage and AFAIK, there is not a limit defined in regards of the number of messages to be stored.
- Yammer ??? -> Already answered by Vasil
- Sway ??? -> Sway space does not count against tenant storage. Sway data is stored in Azure (https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Frequently-asked-questions-about-Sway-%25E2%2580%2593-Admin...)
Flow ??? -> Pretty sure Flow storage does not count against tenant storage. Storage required (for Flow Settings mainly) is provided by Azure
Skype ??? (Attachments uploaded?) -> Already answered by Vasil
Dynamics ??? -> By default you have 5 GB of storage for Dynamics 365 (CRM) and I believe Microsoft is increasing this 5 GB to 10 GB.

thanks a  lot for both answers!

one question to your answer

Pretty sure Flow storage does not count against tenant storage. Storage required (for Flow Settings mainly) is provided by Azure

I'm not an Azure expert, but where do i see what amount of storage space O365 stuff (e.g. flow) currently occupies within Azure?.

And what amout of azure storage do i get with an E3/E5 subscription ?

thanks

None, that's a storage used by some applications, and you dont really have access to it. In the case of Flow, I believe it's only metadata that's stored there, so that will be few KB at best I guess.

thank you for all your feedback!

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but this is my final list showing which application uses which typ of storage AND if it is counted against the tenant storage space.

ApplicationDestinationStorage Sizecounts to Tenant Storage ?
ExchangeExchange50GB / user (or 100GB )No
OneDriveto OfB1 TB (or 5 TB) per userNo
Sharepointto SPO Sites1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
Plannervia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite)1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
Tasksvia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite)1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
Power BIvia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite)1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
Videovia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite) + Video Portal1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
OneNotevia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite)1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
Teamsvia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite) + Chat stored in MS Teams Storage (free)1 TB + 0,5GB / userYES
Yammerto YammerfreeNo
SwayAzure StoragefreeNo
FlowAzure StoragefreeNo
SkypePeer-to-Peer freeNo
Dynamicsto Dynamics5GB for free for every 20users No

Would be great to get your feedback on this.

thank you for your help

I think the summary is OK, not very sure about the Dynamics 365 information...where did you find that you have 5 GB for every 20 users?

Storage may be in Bigdata filesystem.

:) and what's "Bigdata filesystem"? Curious to know...
It can be called as HDFS

You can read more about it the link provided.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/big-data-introduction/lecture/hmB9u/the-hadoop-distributed-file-syste...
Thanks...and now tell me how this is related to the conversation we are having at this thread :)

;)

Power BIvia O365Groups (to SPO Teamsite)1 TB + 0,5GB / user

YES

I've investigated a bit more in order to have a complete list.

For Power BI i don't think that the data is stored in a SPO Teamsite. It looks like that the data is also stored within Azure. --> so it will NOT count against the tenant storage

PowerBI free license - max 1GB

PowerBI Pro license - max. 10GB  (not extendable)

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-power-bi-security/

i have created another techcommunity question to get some additional PowerBi answers:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Office-365-Groups/Office365Groups-AnalyticsURL-Power-BI/m-p/6...

Reminder that new Yammer Groups are O365 Groups connected, so they'd have a related SPO site, too.

Legacy Yammer groups will also get O365 connectivity this year.  So, technically, the file aren't in "Yammer" but are related to the Yammer workload.

hmm. Please correct me if i'm wrong. :)

If i have  a yammer group connected to O365groups then i have access to several o365 resources such as SPO Library, OneNote, Planner,...

But a user can still upload a file to the "normal" yammer activity stream (ending in the normal file section of the yammer space), right ?

so a user has access to SP Sites and Yammer Files

Yammer Files --> unlimited Storage

SPO files --> count to overall tenant storage

at the end of the day a user would have two locations for uploaded files, correct ?

but as said, i'm not sure on that, so please correct me if i'm wrong

thanks for your feedback

Yes, correct. I was just pointing out that Yammer now has connectivty to SPO and so should be listed similarly to Planner, Teams, etc.

On an E3 or E5 license the Exchange storage includes 100Gb of mailbox and an infinite amount of archive per user. I don't think archive growth is automatic just yet (roadmap) but support will increase it as long as you fit within fair-use.

OneDrive on all plans is officially unlimited, through support requests you can get it increased beyond 5Gb, as long as you fit within fair-use.

For your shared files the base calculation is correct, but you can buy additional storage as you require at a price per Gb per month.

Hi @Stefan Fried (...or anyone else that might know).

This might be a slightly silly query... but any emails or calendar items store in an Office 365 Group, are these counted towards Tenant storage? That is, at our firm each user gets 100GB of space in their email "free", but are any Groups that have a mailbox "free" too. 

I assume not, and that any emails in an O365 Group mailbox are just normal storage, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Cheers, Joe

Hi @Joe McGiven Corban 

correct. A Group mailbox is related to Exchange - therefore it does not count to the tenant storage.

so you can put a lot of data into your group mailboxes :)

hope this helps,

kr, stefan