SOLVED

Error moving a file SharePoint

Steel Contributor

Hi,

Trying to move a file on SharePoint cause an error. See Picture The text says its liste for shared use. Can we not move files that is Shared with someone inside or outside the Organization?

Best Regards

- Geir

4 Replies

yes you can do that but the link will be broken..Make sure the file isn't checked out

adam

best response confirmed by Geir Hogstad (Steel Contributor)
Solution

That error looks to be the standard you can't move because it's "Locked" not shared I can't translate the language but that's what it looks to be saying :). It's tricky because you have to wait a certain amount of time after anyone opens it Roughly 10 minutes I think, then you will be able to move the file. Copy might work better, but what I notice most people will do is click to view / open the file, then close the browser or go back, then immediately try to move it. This will error because Office Online is keeping the file opened in edit mode for a bit and you just need to give it some time and try again and you should be good.

You can also just try to copy instead, then delete it at a later time.

Do have in mind that ”copy” only copies the latest version of the file

Thank you for guidance and explanations.

Best Regards

- Geir

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Geir Hogstad (Steel Contributor)
Solution

That error looks to be the standard you can't move because it's "Locked" not shared I can't translate the language but that's what it looks to be saying :). It's tricky because you have to wait a certain amount of time after anyone opens it Roughly 10 minutes I think, then you will be able to move the file. Copy might work better, but what I notice most people will do is click to view / open the file, then close the browser or go back, then immediately try to move it. This will error because Office Online is keeping the file opened in edit mode for a bit and you just need to give it some time and try again and you should be good.

You can also just try to copy instead, then delete it at a later time.

View solution in original post