SOLVED

Error: Exchange: An unknown error has occurred. Refer to correlation ID:

Steel Contributor

Error: Exchange: An unknown error has occurred. Refer to correlation ID:

Exchange license if off, only pro plus license is assigned, user is synced from Local AD.

any known issue or fix?

thanks

9 Replies

Get the actual error message from PowerShell, either via the Exchange cmdlets or via MSOL:

Get-MsolUser -HasErrorsOnly | fl DisplayName,UserPrincipalName,@{Name="Error";Expression={($_.errors[0].ErrorDetail.objecterrors.errorrecord.ErrorDescription)}}

hi vasil, got this:

Error : Exchange can't disable the mailbox "APCPR04A123.prod.outlook.com/Microsoft Exchange Hosted Organizations/contoso.onmicrosoft.com/JUANDELACRUZ" because it is on litigation hold.

best response confirmed by Marvin Oco (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Well you have your answer then. Removing the license of any user that's on hold is not supported, moreover it's a violation of the terms of use. Either remove the hold before removing the license, or delete the user while he's on hold, making it effectively an inactive mailbox.

@Vasil Michev "Removing the license of any user that's on hold is not supported, moreover it's a violation of the terms of use." 

Could you kindly provide a source for this?

Thanks

@Vasil Michev Thank you, I ran the command and was able to see clearly where the issue was. Life saver!!

@Vasil Michev - as per your comments I tried to run the command Get-MsolUser -HasErrorsOnly | fl DisplayName,UserPrincipalName,@{Name="Error";Expression={($_.errors[0].ErrorDetail.objecterrors.errorrecord.ErrorDescription)}} and got the results for the affected user however in the error it says only ErrorDescription

I'm not nearly at the level of most the people out here, but if you only need the errors for a couple of users you can run single user errors like this. 

(Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName "<User_ID>").Errors

(Get-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName "<User_ID>").Errors.ErrorDetail.ObjectErrors.ErrorRecord.ErrorDescription

That will give you a list, hope this helps

@apurv787

Yes, can you please provide a source for this being unsupported? Sounds like a bug to me. You don't just throw unrecoverable errors on people. If it isn't supported block it from happening and provide feedback to the users.
Hello, your advice helped me to find out the reason why HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled is not synced from EOP. EOL trying to create an archive Mailbox with ArchiveGuid already used for another object. I found the exact error "The value "xxxxxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" of property ArchiveGuid is used by another recipient object " by Correlation ID and then the solution was simple - I turned off the archive and sync started working. Thank you a lot, regards JR
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marvin Oco (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Well you have your answer then. Removing the license of any user that's on hold is not supported, moreover it's a violation of the terms of use. Either remove the hold before removing the license, or delete the user while he's on hold, making it effectively an inactive mailbox.

View solution in original post