Enforcing Default Retention Labels in Office 365

Copper Contributor

The Label feature in Security and Compliance Center works great to apply consistent policies across O365 capabilities. However, there does not appear to be a way to enforce a default selection in SharePoint (OneDrive, Groups or Sites) at a high level through the Security and Compliance or site Collection settings. At this time I have not been able to find an exposed property that will allow validation and setting the value using PowerShell either.

Is there a way, now or on the roadmap, to allow an administrator to verify that a default Label has been set? Also, as part of provisioning (either during or after) can a default value for a SharePoint library be set without modifying the settings through the UI for each library in a site. Also to enforce a selection when a new library is created on an existing site?

Ideally, it would be helpful to allow setting a tenant wide policy for each platform (Mail, OneDrive, Groups and SharePoint), similar to how Exchange does tags, that are applied when a new library is created. The owner of the library can modify it afterwards if needed, along with document level updates.

3 Replies

The addition of a default label would be a major improvement to the current system, especially when combined with targeted policies based on URL.

I'd also like to see the ability to define default labels on OneDrive that doesn't require the use of dynamic labelling (E5 only). This would allow organisations to have the ability to place some form of governance on OneDrive that doesn't require the users to self label content, instead a default retention period could be applied and labels provided to allow users to change the retention themselves.

Paul.

I  should probably add, that we can define a default deletion/retention policy to OneDrive.. but this is not visible to users in the same way that labels are. If I apply a 2 year deletion policy, there is nothing to tell the user that their content will be deleted 2 years after creation.

If it instead had a default label applied called "Content Deletion - 2 years from creation" then this would be much more visible and consumable by the user.

Fully support this. We have a 3 tier classification schema in our ISMS. We'd like any documents that are brought into our SharePoint to have the lowest form of Classification automatically set. As opposed to trying to create a workaround that 'tricks' SharePoint (365) into flagging it.