E1 Users - Open files in web app by default

Copper Contributor

I have mostly E1 users. The licenses were purchased last year before I was here. 
Didn't realize they do not have access to the actual software, and must use online Office apps only. 
So now I have many frustrated users that were using Win7 or E3 licenses and the 'real' Office apps. 

How do I make office files (.xlsx .docx, etc) open in the web apps by default?

Do I need to uninstall office products that were installed with E3 user accounts? 

I should add that a common activity is for users to click on Excel files on government websites and view them. These need to open in Excel Online in one click. 

2 Replies
Microsoft will check the installed software against the users licensing every 30 days! So their previous installs will be inactivated eventually!

AFAIK there’s no way to open them online except from using Onedrive/ Sharepoint for documents
Yeah working online requires you to use browser to be online. When you open files they open on one click. OneDrive can open online by right clicking when you have office installed but there isn’t a way to open online by default and I doubt that option is there without office.