SOLVED

Duplicate accounts O365

Copper Contributor

Since a while we have several users with a duplicate office 365 account in their office products ( word, powerpoint, excel ) 

This result in an empty MRU for all office applications / Unable to share documents with colleagues and other issues... we have to switch manually to other account which looks exactly the same but has the MRU filled and ability to find other colleagues when sharing a document.

I tried to remove the account but after a while at random times it returns and makes it primary again what causes several issues. I have no idea why several users have 2 accounts and other colleagues have no issues at all.

9 Replies
best response confirmed by Jeffrey Jeensma (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Yeah, I've had similar issues. You have to remove them from the registry, I believe it was this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities

Better yet, contact support and ask them for instructions, as in general tinkering with the registry is not a recommended approach.

Thank you Vasil,

You are right about the key but after removal the key and account will return somewhere during the day.

I will contact support.

Hi Jeffrey,

Did you find any solution to this problem? We have exactly the same issue, even after deleting recreating the local profile the issue seems to return.

Thx,

K

Hi,

Sadly... no solution.
It seems to be a problem with version 1811+ . I downgraded my version and no issues.
Made a ticket for support but no solution yet.

Hi Jeffrey,

I am also in contact with MS Support, I will let you know if we found any solution, so far the issue seems to be related to Modern Authentication, but I am not certain yet.

K

The Microsoft Agent told me that their developers are working on a fix but couldn't give any ETA or information in detail. The work around for this issue is to remove your account from Windows 10 settings > Accounts > Work or School, then add a DWORD 'EnableADAL' with value 0 to Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity.

Setting this registry key will disable modern authentication, so you will have to use the 'app password' for Outlook and Skype for Business in case you have Multi-Factor Authentication enabled for the user account.

After this a sign-out is needed in Excel/Word and as soon as I signed back in I have now one account with the correct theming and recent documents showing.

Obviously I am not going to do this for 20+ accounts as it will be too time consuming, hopefully they fix it soon.

Thank you,

We still haven't heard anything from MS support.....
Please let me know if you have more information.

Really keen to know the outcome here.

Having performed some testing it seems that any domain joined PC signing in with an AD account will autosign into office. This is in some sort of local state and if you look at the keys under the identities its appended with a "_AD". This behaviour is explained indirectly in this article under the first sentence of the cause section https://support.microsoft.com/af-za/help/3147521/office-365-users-aren-t-automatically-signed-in-to-... . What this doesn't do is if the identity is infact an AzureAD synchronised identity with a licence it doesn't sign in against AzureAD but rather just AD only. Signing out and Signing back in forces the sign in against AzureAD and connected services appear too. What Id like to know is why this isn't happening automatically

I would also know if microsoft has come up with any solution to this. I have tried everything to suggested in this thread. I get at least 1-2 users with the issue a week. And only solution that works reliably is creating a new local profile. I wish microsoft would investigate this further.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jeffrey Jeensma (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Yeah, I've had similar issues. You have to remove them from the registry, I believe it was this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity\Identities

Better yet, contact support and ask them for instructions, as in general tinkering with the registry is not a recommended approach.

View solution in original post