Domain is already in use, but it is not

Copper Contributor

I'm trying to add my domain to my newly created tenant, but when I try to confirm ownership of the domain, I get an message saying that the domain is already added to another tenant.

Which does not make sense, since I haven't added the domain to any other tenant. I looked through my DNS records and nothing there hints that I have already added the domain to an Microsoft 365 tenant.

It also says that I need to logon to the admin console of that tenant and remove the domain before continuing. But I don't recognize the admin account for the "Ghost" tenant. Is semi encrypted and says "IM******@XXXXX.no" Perhaps this is a default name, which was automatically assigned?

Can add, that I tried to create an tenant back in september/October, but that some how failed. Seemed like Microsoft hade some issues with creation of new tenants then, so I just forgot about it. But seems like the tenant was actually created, as the default domain name was taken when I tried to add a new one now.

Anybody knows how I can add my domain without get ahold of the "Ghost" tenant, or a how to get ahold of the "Ghost" tenant? Which I can then remove the domain.

3 Replies
Thanks for the reply, tried both options listed in the article and both didn't work.
The first one can't work, as I don't have access to an account on the "Ghost" account and Forcetakeover through Powershell said the same thing as adminconsole, can add it because is already exist....

But thanks anyway :)
Perhaps reach out to the official support for assistance.