Does this violate license agreement?

Copper Contributor

My work strictly purchases OEM editions of Office with new machines.  Despite pushing for volume licensing for years, senior management isn't open to it due to costs.  This is the only place I've been at that has over 300 employees but still uses OEM licenses. 

With Microsoft banning enterprise domains from registering live accounts, I followed up on my manager's advice to just create a gmail account, with a live account, so we can resume activating office.

I'm still a bit uneasy with the decision to use a gmail account to bypass a restriction MS has clearly put in.    Does this create any kind of licensing violation?  

2 Replies
Paul, when in doubt check it out! Your senior management must be compliant to legally use Office. Bear in mind too that OEM versions will become out of date, unsupported and become a business risk. Enterprise licensing always represents a challenging sell to the business but in today’s environment, as I think you realise, needs a modern workplace. At 300 seats Microsoft Office 365 Business SKUs are not exceptionally high prices but Microsoft 365 covering Windows 10, Office 365 and EMS is worth a look. Above all make sure you are not using software that is not licensed that truly is not a cost worth bearing!

Open a support case with Microsoft or call your local MS folks, only they can give you an authoritative answer when it comes to licensing.