Do all versions of 365 support importing PST files from Outlook desktop?

Copper Contributor

I wish to migrate email from Outlook / Office Pro 2013 to Office 365.  I am hopeful the version I select can support both an Outlook email address as well as non-microsoft email such as gmail.

I have one Outlook email address and two additional non-Outlook addresses which I wish to be able to access and send email from using Office 365.

Regarding the Outlook email account, I wish to export the PST file from the desktop version and import the Office 365.  I am not certain all versions of Office 365 offer that capability and I am hopeful someone(s) will share their wisdom to this neophyte.

Is this outcome achievable?

7 Replies

Depends on what you understand by "office 365". If you mean the desktop versions of the Office apps (Office 365 Pro Plus), yes, every versions supports PST import. If you mean the software as a service apps, then it depends on the type of license you have. Every license that includes an Exchange Online plan 1/plan 2 will do.

@Vasil Michev my goal is to move my email from my desktop to the cloud.  I installed a trial of the Personal version of Office 365 but did not find a path that would enable me to upload a PST file.

Hi@glr57 

Why don't you upload the PST files via Office365 portal?

1. Go to https://protection.office.com and sign in using the credentials for an administrator account in your Office 365 organization.

2. In the left pane of the Security & Compliance Center, click Data governance > Import.

3. On the Import page, click  + New import job.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/securitycompliance/use-network-upload-to-import-pst-files

Thank you

Dav,

It was a personal subscription..

Just add a pst to desktop outlook and copy the files/folders from it over to your Office 365 mailbox

Hi@adam deltinger 

Unfortunately, it was not mentioned on the main topic / post. I thought user is talking about production and scale move.

I agree that for a single PST move to cloud for persoanl account, best option would be to import the PST file to Outlook and create a new folder on the mailbox and move the PST content gradually to the folder on the mailbox. It might take some time but it also depens on the internet connection and the size of the PST file.

Thank you

Dav,

@Deleted  Fellas, I very much appreciate your willingness to help.  Yes, this is a personal account.  My desktop version of email is Outlook within Office 2013.  I have a number of folders such as Home, Vacation, Mom, etc.  I wish to duplicate all of the Outlook folders and contents to a cloud version of 365.

Regrettably I am unclear on some of the responses.

@Dav1988 advises to "import the PST file to Outlook".  I know how to export from Outlook but don't understand what is meant by import the PST to outlook.

The second tip is to "create a new folder on the mailbox and move the PST content gradually to the folder on the mailbox".  I'll guess that means to create a folder within the cloud version of 365 called Vacation, for example, and then from the desktop Outlook open my Vacation folder, copy all of the contents and then paste into the cloud version.  Am I interpreting your guidance correctly?

Thank you all for any clarification you can provide.

Hi@glr57 

We are more than happy to help you here :)

Regarding PST Import >  I thought your folders such as Home, Vacation, Mom, etc are on a PST file and you want to send them to cloud mailbox Office365 , that is why I asked you to import the PST file to your Outlook. Anyways, let's forget about importing for now...

First I would like to know , how would access your Office365 Email Account? Via Browser (OWA) or Desktop version of Outlook? What kind of license you have on your account? E1 ,E3 ?

If you are using Office365 Emails account only via browser, E1 license (OWA) you won't be able to move PST or Folders and Etc from your machine to the cloud Emails , you need help from Global Administrator on your Office365 environment.

That is Correct 

"The second tip is to "create a new folder on the mailbox and move the PST content gradually to the folder on the mailbox".  I'll guess that means to create a folder within the cloud version of 365 called Vacation, for example, and then from the desktop Outlook open my Vacation folder, copy all of the contents and then paste into the cloud version.  Am I interpreting your guidance correctly?"

Thanks

Dav,