disable recoverable items folder

Brass Contributor

how do i disable the recoverable items folder so that deleted emails will stay in deleted items folder and will not go into recoverable items folder 

4 Replies
Hi,

This is currently an open user voice for this here:

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/264636-general/suggestions/16905280-ability-to-turn-off-all-m...

Alternative is to get a third party journaling archive solution such as Mimecast or Global Relay

Best, Chris

Why would you want to do such a thing? The Recoverable Items structure is a fundamental part of how Exchange Online runs without recourse to backups. 

Deleted items *do* stay in the Deleted Items folder indefinitely, this was deliberately changed by Microsoft few years back. If you are observing different behavior in your tenant, you most likely have created a custom retention policy.

Now if you are talking about manually removing items from the Deleted items folder, there is no way to prevent this. If you need to meet some compliance requirements, put the mailbox on hold.

i have emails going to the recoverable items folder repeatedly.
initially discovered that emails when missing, later found them at the recoverable items folder.
then i also found send items going there.
have logged ticket with Microsoft partners support for help. they found it could be due to retention policy but have not being able to prevent it from happening. have checked that i do not have any retention policy applied to my mailbox. some emails sent to external parties still goes to the recoverable items folder