SOLVED

Desktop App for Planner?

Brass Contributor

There only appears to be a web version?  Is there an app for a desktop on PC and/or Mac?

39 Replies
Thanks for sharing @Jenn_Marescalco! Just found Planner and am LOVING it and the fact I can now pin it to my taskbar!
Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

@Jenn_Marescalco GG, I think this solution is best and works wonders. At the end of the day we want to be able to easily open it and access the Planner. This 'install site as an App" is a perfect workaround for that. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Thank you @Jenn_Marescalco!! Very helpful indeed, keeping a link to Planner and in it's own windows for on demand use.

@Jenn_Marescalco Thank you, this was very helpful & worked perfectly

@Jenn_Marescalco thank´s for this usefull trick :lol:

Uservoice is now closed :(
This is AWESOME!

@LeandervG Awesome tip - thank you so much for posting this.

@Neale_C I had been using this PWA setup for a long time, but something changed in a recent update. I no longer have the app option, and when I click the existing Windows quick launch button it just opens a blank browser window now. I'm guessing Microsoft grew tired of folks using this handy workaround! Very disappointing.

@Chris_Pollard Hi Chris (& others that venture here), the same thing just happened to myself. After a few tried of it not working, I simply repeated the steps of adding the page as an app and removed the old app icon from my taskbar and Start menu.

Hopefully you and others can do the same and resolve the issue. I don't imagine this will happen with every update, but it bound to happen periodically with this workaround.

Still working for me!  Windows 11 @RyanFitz 

@RyanFitz Yeah, that's what I was trying to do too, but I'm not even getting the option to install. Tried it in Chrome 115.0.5790.171 and Edge 115.0.1901.200. 

Oh, THIS is interesting! It's working in Edge today. Yesterday the "Apps" option wasn't even showing in the menu! Still no option to install in Chrome though, which was what I had the PWA installed as previously.

Still, Microsoft needs to fix this and just make it a standalone app. They're Microsoft. This can't be terribly difficult of time consuming for them!

Summary of the current situation (August 2023)

No Planner Desktop App is Available

Some wonder why Microsoft never developed a Planner desktop app. It’s probably due to a lack of engineering and support resources. But a good workaround exists because you can create a desktop app from the tasks.microsoft.com web site. For guest access to Planner in another tenant, a desktop shortcut might work. And there’s always the Tasks by Planner app in Teams. So maybe a Planner desktop app isn’t needed.

https://office365itpros.com/2023/08/15/planner-desktop-app/

@Tony Redmond One can go to the web version from tasks.microsoft.com but I can't see how one can get a desktop app?  Workaround for me has been trhc and ... hove over apps then install and put on the taskbar.

Click the [...] menu in Edge, Select Apps, Select Install this site as an app...
This is a useful hack. Thanks

This doesn't allow you to search through planner though, unfortunately. 

I'm getting a "This UserVoice instance is no longer available" message. Was the desktop app made or did the uservoice just get deleted?

Correct, although either does the web version. Even in the app version (or more specifically the iOS version), the search function only searches for Plans and does not go any deeper such as searching for tasks or anything other than plan names.

(A true search function could be useful)