definition of pre-2011 and post 2011

Iron Contributor

The following information I copied from MS site https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/sensitive-information-type-entity-definiti....

Does it mean the SSN issued date is before 2011 or issued after 2011? To me it don't matter when the SSN is issued, it is just 9 digit number. the match accuracy should be the same. Did I miss something here?

Thanks Peter

U.S. social security number (SSN) Format

nine digits, which may be in a formatted or unformatted pattern

Note

If issued before mid-2011, an SSN has strong formatting where certain parts of the number must fall within certain ranges to be valid (but there's no checksum).

Pattern

four functions look for SSNs in four different patterns:

• Func_ssn finds SSNs with pre-2011 strong formatting that are formatted with dashes or spaces (ddd-dd-dddd OR ddd dd dddd)
  • Func_unformatted_ssn finds SSNs with pre-2011 strong formatting that are unformatted as nine consecutive digits (ddddddddd)
  • Func_randomized_formatted_ssn finds post-2011 SSNs that are formatted with dashes or spaces (ddd-dd-dddd OR ddd dd dddd)
  • Func_randomized_unformatted_ssn finds post-2011 SSNs that are unformatted as nine consecutive digits (ddddddddd)
0 Replies