SOLVED

Custom User Profile Properties

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

Is it possible to create custom user profile property in SharePoint Online. Either through PoweShell or CSOM.

OR

What is the best way to provision custom user profile properties in SharePoint Online / Office 365.

Thanks!

4 Replies
Yes, you can create custom profile properties in SPO using CSOM API (you can usit from a PS Script)
best response confirmed by Prasham Sabadra (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hmm, are you sure Juan Carlos? As far as I know (knew) it is not possible to create custom properties using CSOM or any other API. You can however read / set the value of Profile Properties through CSOM, whether they're custom or not...

What exactly is it you'd want to achieve with the custom Profile Property? Do you want it to show up in Delve and People Search results or do you need it for some technical reason? If you only need it to store some user information for technical reasons to control behavior of a custom application you could also consider using Open Extensions 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/concepts/extensibility_open_users

Thanks for the reply. But I am still not sure. Is it possible to share some link or reference from where I can get an idea.

Thanks!

Prasham Sabadra

My Office 365 Articles

Thanks Paul for the response. Even I am on same page that we can not create the custom user properties in SharePoint Online using CSOM or PowerShell scripts.

Thanks for sharing reference for extensibility_open_users.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Prasham Sabadra (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hmm, are you sure Juan Carlos? As far as I know (knew) it is not possible to create custom properties using CSOM or any other API. You can however read / set the value of Profile Properties through CSOM, whether they're custom or not...

What exactly is it you'd want to achieve with the custom Profile Property? Do you want it to show up in Delve and People Search results or do you need it for some technical reason? If you only need it to store some user information for technical reasons to control behavior of a custom application you could also consider using Open Extensions 

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/concepts/extensibility_open_users

View solution in original post