correct way to structure mailboxes with many domains

Deleted
Not applicable

Hello,

currently I'm setting up our mailboxes and I'm already struggling with the structure.

We are three persons and we have one main domain and three other domains for other projects.

Currently it looks like this:
person1@main.com
person2@main.com
person2@main.com
hello@main.com (shared mailbox)
hello@domain2.com (shared mailbox)
catchall@domain2.com (shared mailbox)

hello@domain3.com (shared mailbox)
catchall@domain3.com (shared mailbox)

hello@domain4.com (shared mailbox)
catchall@domain4.com (shared mailbox)

The problem is now that I have to add each shared mailbox to each user manually in their desktop clients and mobile clients with IMAP.

Now my main question:
What is the best way to structure that many domains/folders? Actually there are way more than 4 domains.

And is there any way to setup the shared mailboxes that they are automatically added to the user without adding them over IMAP on the mobile phone?

Thank you for your help :)

8 Replies

shared mailboxes can only be added via IMAP to mobile devices. On outlook client they can be auto mapped when you create a shared mailbox. If you've that many shared mailbox and i assume each shared mailbox for a project? If that's the case, why don't you try to leverage Office 365 groups? You do have iOS and Android client of O365 Groups available to look all the emails sent to the group.

Shared mailboxes have been supported in OWA for IOS and Android, but OWA for IOS and Android will stop working on 15 May.

There are rumors that Outlook for IOS and Android will support shared mailboxes before the end of 2018, but there is no official statement.

In the meanwhile, apart from implementing shared mailboxes as IMAP mailboxes, you can still access all OWA features (including shared mailboxes), from the browser on the mobile device.

I'm completely new to office 365. I did that what I found through Google.

Is it possible to create groups which act like a shared mailbox? I need to receive and send through that email.

Hi Paul,

In groups you can only receive email's not sending. For that situation is better to use Shared Mailbox.

Each Group technically includes a shared mailbox, but its features are mostly hidden.

If you don't need all additional machinery associated with a Group (modern team site, document library, notebook, Teams. Planner, etc.) and you only need multiple users to receive and send emails, as a single entity, then a shared mailbox appears to be the correct choice.

You can setup "Send As" and "Send on behalf" permissions to a group.  Here is the Microsoft support article on how to implement "Send As" and "Send on Behalf" permissions to allow users send an email from Office 365 group. Thanks.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/allow-members-to-send-as-or-send-on-behalf-of-an-office-365...

Nuno.. It's changed now, you can send an email from Office 365 group :) https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/01/24/send-as-and-send-on-behalf-of-for-groups-in-...

@Nuno Silva wrote:

Hi Paul,

In groups you can only receive email's not sending. For that situation is better to use Shared Mailbox.

Hi, yes with the correct permissions, but if they want to use with mobile phone to send from the better is Shared Mailbox with IMAP connection.