SOLVED

Converting user mailbox to shared mailbox

Deleted
Not applicable

Can I convert std. user/mailbox to a shared mailbox, without breaking delegated permission assigned to mailbox?

In other words if I choose to convert to shared mailbox on O365 admin portal, can I avoid involving any users that have delegated right to original user mailbox?

The user that "owns" the mailbox now, is synced from local AD, but there is no hybrid Exchange solution.

5 Replies

Hi Michael, 

If you have the permissions set already, they will remain after converting to a shared mailbox.

Ok! Super ;o) Would users that are connected to user mailbox, have to re-connect to mailbox after converting to shared, or would It work seamlessly? Converting to shared mailbox would also disable user account! yes?, and local AD account get's disabled also I suppose
best response
Solution

Hi Michael,

The user that already have access to the Mailbox they will not be disconected, Outlook will manage that. When you convert the mailbox the licence is remain active, and when you remove licence the user that you have on-premises keep's the same, but if you try to connect with that user and password you will not have access to the mailbox because you have removed the license.

@Nuno Silva How can we delete the onprem object without deleting the shared mailbox?

Hi @Navishkar Sadheo,

If you have and Hybrid Exchange if you delete the onprem object, you will delete the shared mailbox when AD Connect replicate changes. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hi Michael,

The user that already have access to the Mailbox they will not be disconected, Outlook will manage that. When you convert the mailbox the licence is remain active, and when you remove licence the user that you have on-premises keep's the same, but if you try to connect with that user and password you will not have access to the mailbox because you have removed the license.

View solution in original post