Confusion on the various endpoint, intune, Microsoft Endpoint manager admin center

Brass Contributor

Hey Team, 

Hoping you can assist here. I am trying to better understand the differences between the following: 

1. (MEMAC) Endpoint Security: Microsoft Defender for Endpoint (endpoint.microsoft.com) 
  2. (MEMAC) Device (or) other options, because they are all in the same portal. 

If the above is intune, then why is the "Endpoint Security" listed in there separately? I looked and the policies are not the same. in Endpoint security i have Antivirus, Disk Encryption, Firewall, Endpoint Detection and Response. 

But in the portal homepage (outside of the endpoint security) I have the regular options like (Devices or Apps) which each has their own policy options. Those I get. I am just a little confused on the various portals and how they interact. 

Thanks, 

Robert 

8 Replies

@Robert Bollinger 

"Endpoint Security" is new while the old way was config profile.

Make sure you are using the link endpoint.microsoft.com portal, which is replacing devicemanagement.microsoft.com as the management portal for Intune.

devicemanagement.microsoft.com takes me to the same place as endpoint.microsoft.com. I am very confused on all these different portals.

Robert

@Vasil Michev @Tony Redmond 

Hey Guys, hoping you could help a little out with this question here. I just want to make sure i have the various portals understood. 

Thanks, 

Robert 

I have no insight into the portals used by Intune.

Thanks Tony, do you know who i might be able to ask? I just want to make sure i have it understood.

The Microsoft documentation is ultra confusing. and since the portals keep changing all the time its more difficult than ever to get a clear understanding. 

Robert

Hi @Robert Bollinger,

To make it even more complex, Microsoft announced at ignite that Endpoint Manager is being renamed back to Intune. Which results in the following URL: https://intune.microsoft.com. Everything related to Intune can be managed from that URL in the future.

The Endpoint Security section you're mentioning is still there on the Intune portal and it's not Defender for Endpoint. You can configure policies related to Defender for Endpoint from here, but also other endpoint security related policies like Antivirus, Disk Encryption, Firewall, Endpoint detection and response, Attack Surface Reduction and Account Protection.

Defender for Endpoint itself is managed from https://security.microsoft.com.

I hope this clarifies it a little bit. 

Regards,
Ruud

OK. So I think that helps a little. I can configure a policy for endpoint security either at Intune or endpoint - if I configure the policy in one place it shows up in the other.