SOLVED

Computer name activation reverse lookup and deleted AD account licence cleanup

Brass Contributor

Hello,

Is there a place in Office 365 Admin Center I can do a reverse lookup, basically type in a computer name and then it show me any user who's ever activated that machine?

I would like to have an easy way to clean up if people move (get promoted, switch departments, branches/offices, terminated, etc...).  

Also since we sync our on prem Active Directory with Azure AD Connect, if we terminate an employee and delete them, does that automatically return their office 365 licence back to our pool to reassign?  For example I can see a deleted user in portal.office.com admin center, but I cannot see any past office activations or if they still hold a licence.  I'm not sure the user that I looked up ever did have a licence so I can't say for sure I know if it deleted or not.

Thanks for your help!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by kjstech (Brass Contributor)
Solution

No, despite requesting such report/feature for years, Microsoft never delivered. So you have to go user by user if you want to find it.

And yes, licenses are fried automatically for deleted users.

@Vasil Michev Thank you for that answer.

I wonder why such a report or feature has gone by deaf ears from Microsoft.

Too big to fail I guess.  That mentality shouldn't be, but unfortunately that's reality.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by kjstech (Brass Contributor)
Solution

No, despite requesting such report/feature for years, Microsoft never delivered. So you have to go user by user if you want to find it.

And yes, licenses are fried automatically for deleted users.

View solution in original post