Company documents management best practices?

Copper Contributor
Hello,

We are migrating from on prem small business server 2011 to office 365 business premium (Belgium offer) and would like some advice on our company documents management and migration.

We are a small company of 15 people (4 administrative and 11 workers) active in the building and real estate domains.

So far, we were storing our documents on a shared drive on the SBS server.
The hierarchy was one folder per subsidiaries (we have two different entities for each building and real estate activities).
Under each we had one folder per interest like “Customers”, “Accounting”, “Events”, “Office Templates”...

Under the customers folder, we had one folder per year (eg 2019, 2018, ...). Then a subfolder per customer ID and name, then a subfolder for “offers, “invoices”, ... I think this gives a good idea of our current organization of documents. NTFS and sharing permissions allowed to grant or prevent people to access or not the places they had to.

Now I’m wondering the best way to migrate from this approach to Office 365. I think the way suggested is to use SharePoint (OneDrive is documented more as a personal folder with some sharing capabilities). My question is should I use one site team per subsidiaries, then a subsite by “Customer”, “Accounting “ , ... folders, then again a subsite per year, ... Or just one level of site and subsite then folders in the default document repository of these sites?

Any advices and experience sharing on such documents migration will be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Gdigrego
3 Replies

My suggestion:

Entity 1: SharePoint Site 1(Permissions; Admin; Owner; etc)

Department 1 (Permissions specific to the people working on it)

Subfolder1

Subfolder2

Department 2 ("")

Subfolder1

Subfolder2

So on..

Entity 2: SharePoint Site 1(Permissions; Admin; Owner; etc)

Department 1 (Permissions specific to the people working on it)

Subfolder1

Subfolder2

Department 2 ("")

Subfolder1

Subfolder2

So on..

Initial work: Very highlevel

1. Object discover

2. Structure SharePoint Sites appropriately

3. User agreement on the SharePoint site Structure

4. Owner, Read-write Permissions differentiation

5. Upload data

6. Permission Assignment

Hi mikhatri,

Thanks for your reply. Some questions:

For Entity 2, you meant Sharepoint Site 2 ?

Department 1 or 2... are subsites?

Thank you

hi, Yes, I am site 2. And yes subsites