Changing the default Reply E-mail Address

Copper Contributor

Dear everyone,

I have 2 accounts connected in my Outlook application. One is a third party address. The other an Exchange address.

When I click "reply" to a mail, it defaults to using the e-mail address I received that mail at.

For example, if I received the mail at my third party address sale1@a,  then when I press reply, the default sending address will also be sale1@a . If I received the mail at my Exchange address Christian@P,  then when I press reply, the default sending address will also be Christian@P 

Is there a way to set a default, so that when I reply to a mail sent to the exchange address, the third party address is used instead ? 

Christian_Kl_0-1625223611573.png

Chris

5 Replies
You can toggle the "Always use the default account when composing new message" setting under Options > Mail > Send messages.

@Vasil Michev 

Hi! thanks for the idea. That seems to work only for composing new messages.

I need it to work when I "reply" to messages as well ....

Chris

I have the exact opposite problem.   I have multiple IMAP accounts.    I have "A" set as default account.  

If I compose a new email, it gets composed as from "A"

If I get an email addressed to "A" and I click on REPLY, the reply goes out as being from "A".

The problem is that, if I get an email addressed to "B" and I click on REPLY, the reply will go out as being from "A", unless I remember to change the FROM to "B".

I really want "A" replies to go out as from "A" and "B" replies to go out as from "B".

I have gone to File > Options > Mail > Send Messages and both checked and unchecked the box Always use the default account when composing new messages.  

It does the same thing either way the box is checked or unchecked - when I reply to an email sent to "B", it defaults to sending it from "A".

According to this Microsoft document

Change the account used to send email messages 

it should not do that.   But it does.

Any suggestions on how to correct?

@Kidd_Ip 

That's the exact same document I referenced in my problem description above. Yes, according to that document

"when you compose a new email message, Outlook picks the default account as the From account. However, if you want to Reply, Reply All, or Forward a message, Outlook will send your message with the same account the original mail was sent to. "

But that is NOT how it is behaving.   If I get an email sent to non-default account "B" and I click on REPLY, the FROM is defaulting to the "A" default account.   It does this regardless of how the option:

Always use the default account when composing new messages.

is set.