SOLVED

Changing Proofing Language for an Entire Presentation in PowerPoint

Brass Contributor

Turns out you can't just change the Proofing Language for an entire presentation in PowerPoint. You have to select text boxed one by one in order to change the proofing language. So the question is, is this the only way or there is some workaround to it? Thanks. 

21 Replies
best response confirmed by jahongir abdurahmonov (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@jahongir abdurahmonov 

I am an independent advisor and have investigated and tested this inquiry.

You can assign the Set Proofing Language to all text boxes on a page or to all slides at once in PowerPoint Desktop. 

• You must change the view to Outline.
    From the ribbon, Select View | Outline
    Teresa_Cyrus_0-1656871291676.png

From the left Outline navigation pane, complete the appropriate options below

Option 1: Individual Slide: Click on one slide, then press Ctrl + A to select all content on the page.

Option 2: Multiple slides: While holding down the Ctrl key, click on the preferred slides. For example, Slides 1 and 3. This method selects and deselects multiple objects and the content on the page.

Option 3: Entire presentation:  This time, select all slides by pressing Ctrl + ATeresa_Cyrus_1-1656871414095.png

• Now, you can set your proofing language.
    From the ribbon, select Review | Language | Set Proofing Language
    Teresa_Cyrus_2-1656872073329.png
  • Choose your language
    Teresa_Cyrus_3-1656872135661.png

See the updated information below dated Feb 14, 2023: Re: Changing Proofing Language for an Entire Presentation in PowerPoint - Microsoft Community Hub

If you find this response helpful, please mark it as best response or like it.  Much appreciated.

Teresa

#traccreations4e

@Teresa_Cyrus  thanks for providing an answer, unfortunately this hack does not work for me.  I am on version 2202 (build 14931.20858). Is your solution linked to a specific version?

Hi @KimWJ9

It appears that your last update was in February 2022.  When I wrote the original response, I would have had June v2206 or July v2207 versions. 

I currently using PowerPoint Windows version 2212 (Build 15928.20198) and the steps provided above are still valid.

Please update to the latest version and retry.

If you find this information helpful, please like this post which will assist others with the same question.

@Teresa_Cyrus 

This method doesn't work for me either

I will retest it and report back in couple days.

@IVERSEN1515 @KimWJ9 @IVERSEN1515 

Hi All, 

I retested the Proofing Language in PowerPoint, specifically the ability to apply a second language spell check to the entire presentation. 

By design, the Proofing Language feature in PowerPoint only works with content in a placeholder and not with content in text or shape boxes. In my original post in this thread, the Outline View selects content in a placeholder only.

I created a video series, Step 1 Install, Step 2 Apply, and Step 3 Tips. Check out Step 3 Tips Proofing Language video which explains the placeholder vs text/shape box.  I also covered a workaround method to change the "default" language then change it back once you are done.  

I also added this requirement to Microsoft's Feedback portal.  Please vote. 

If you find this information helpful, please like it which will assist others with the same question.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

It seems a very basic requirement to be able to change the proofing language for all content at once. Still haven't found a way to do that.

@Karel0017 

Agreed. Please add your requirement to the feedback portal, hoping we are heard.

/Teresa

@Teresa_Cyrus You're a lifesaver and a timesaver! Very helpful. Thank you.

@jahongir abdurahmonov 

Hi all, I think I found the following solution: 

1) Select any type of content on a single slide selected (otherwise the "Set Proofing Language" feature becomes unavailable)

2) Go to Review --> Language --> Set Proofing Language

3) Mark the language your are trying to set for the entire document

4) Click "All Text" at the bottom of the pop-up window

This will take a few seconds (depending on the size of your presentation) but appears to apply the proofing language to "all text" across your entire presentation. 

This was great advice - worked just as you've explained, thanks so much for sharing @Teresa_Cyrus 

Thanks so much, been missing this feature so many times until I looked it up today and found your post

@Qayray 

does the above solution still work for you? It did for me until recenly - now I no longer see the 'All Text' checkbox...

@Kamil_Stachurski  Still works for me. But I do not need this "all text" checkbox. I simply follow @hat Teresa has written

@Kamil_Stachurski 

Hi Kamil; weird - still works for me. What version are you on? I'm on version 2302 build 16130.20644 (Enterprise)

Hi. I'm on Version 2306 Build 16.0.16529.20164. I think I've got an update recently - think cell also stopped working...

I am on the newest version of PPT 365, in a brand new office building, and this thing, changing proofing language for whole presentation, does not work. Yes I have text boxes in the presentation. This has been a problem in PowerPoint for 20 years, it is difficult to understand why Microsoft does not fix it.

I just tested: indeed, for text boxes it doesn't work for me either. It does for "normal text" in slides, but not when the text is inside of text boxes. I do not understand why it is so hard for Microsoft to improve on that either.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jahongir abdurahmonov (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@jahongir abdurahmonov 

I am an independent advisor and have investigated and tested this inquiry.

You can assign the Set Proofing Language to all text boxes on a page or to all slides at once in PowerPoint Desktop. 

• You must change the view to Outline.
    From the ribbon, Select View | Outline
    Teresa_Cyrus_0-1656871291676.png

From the left Outline navigation pane, complete the appropriate options below

Option 1: Individual Slide: Click on one slide, then press Ctrl + A to select all content on the page.

Option 2: Multiple slides: While holding down the Ctrl key, click on the preferred slides. For example, Slides 1 and 3. This method selects and deselects multiple objects and the content on the page.

Option 3: Entire presentation:  This time, select all slides by pressing Ctrl + ATeresa_Cyrus_1-1656871414095.png

• Now, you can set your proofing language.
    From the ribbon, select Review | Language | Set Proofing Language
    Teresa_Cyrus_2-1656872073329.png
  • Choose your language
    Teresa_Cyrus_3-1656872135661.png

See the updated information below dated Feb 14, 2023: Re: Changing Proofing Language for an Entire Presentation in PowerPoint - Microsoft Community Hub

If you find this response helpful, please mark it as best response or like it.  Much appreciated.

Teresa

#traccreations4e

View solution in original post