SOLVED

Change alias name to new user

Brass Contributor

An user has mailbox on office 365 with exchange online license , I Changed user name and all data of that user to other user , but after sync with on-premise server all data changed except alias name still had alias name of old user .

How can i change alias name to new user???

Thanks in advance .... 

11 Replies
You want the default SMTP address changes to match new user ? You would do this in EMC on prem. You can use ADSI edit to amend the SMTP value as well.

Something to read:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/e9ea6f10-dfd7-499a-8452-97e05863fe9d/user-name-...
I applied that step but not changed .
if you can , any other method ....

Check the Alias, Mail, proxyaddresses... You will need to make sure "Advanced Features" is checked.

Make sure under proxyaddresses you have an SMTP infront of the one you want.

If it still doesnt work, I would move that user account out of scope, run a dir sync, move it back in scope and run another one.

It will temporarily delete the mailbox, but restore everything as soon as the second dir sync is run.

Adam

I followed your steps but Unfortunately ,not working .!!!!!!!!
If that is the case, I would think there is clearly some value that is dictating that to your account (although I am unsure which one it is).

If I were in your shoes, i would do an export of the get-msolUser and get-mailbox attributes.

Get-Mailbox "User@domain.com" | fl
Get-MsolUser -Userprincipalname "User@domain.com" | fl

Then go through the output and look for values that match the alias you are seeing (or the email address).

From there, knowing the attributes that still have the alias should give you more information on how to solve this through edits in AD.

Sorry it is not a direct solution, but that is the steps I would take to troubleshoot the issue.

Adam
Hi Adam , kindly be informed that when run those commands occurred the following error
Get-Mailbox : The term 'Get-Mailbox' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable

Why do you create a new thread for the same question? https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Admin-Center/How-to-change-Alias-name-in-Office-365/m-p/22246... The last few replies told you to use your real domain name when specifying an alias, not some random domain name or onmicrosoft.com.

I've added some details to this topic, I did not add it in a previous thread, and when a real domain was added, the basic email problem was resolved but alias didn't resolved .
Thanks

How exactly have you changed everything for this user, step by step. Say: 1) renamed user in AD changing its name, last name, display name 2) changed email in AD profile 3) changed SMTP and smtp values in Proxy Addressses in Attribute Editor... so on. Also have you used real domain for both SMTP and smtp values? 

Please look at these files of that user . 

best response confirmed by Walid Fawzy (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Do you actually need that alias? If so, then delete this smtp value and create new one using your real domain. Not onmicrosoft.com

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Walid Fawzy (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Do you actually need that alias? If so, then delete this smtp value and create new one using your real domain. Not onmicrosoft.com

View solution in original post