Certain domain email accounts accessed outside of Office 365, simplest method?

Copper Contributor

Can someone suggest the simplest method of  having certain domain email accounts outside of Office 365?

So user8@ domain.com for example could get their email without an Office 365 account, while user1 and user2 would be using an Office 365 account with the same domain setup in Office 365.  Would this be a pilot scenario which involves forwarding?

5 Replies

Hey @Ashton267 

If you have an on-premises Exchange, you can set up a hybrid setup between your on-prem and O365 and keep user8 in your local exchange; it wouldn't require a O365 licence and the mail would route through correctly; Exchange and O365 talk to each other so they both know where to deliver the mail.

If your setup is different to the above, you may be able to achieve what you want to do through mail flow connectors (which is how Hybrid works as well). Can you provide a bit more detail on your setup? Do you have a on site domain controller, where are the mailboxes now etc?

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark @HidMov 

In the two situations I'm working with, the original email is on a mail server provided by a web hosting company.

It is not MS Exchange.  The DNS servers listed with the Registrar point to the hosting company's DNS servers.  In my own case I have moved already to Off 365 Bus Ess, and I would like a few email addresses outside of O365.

@Ashton267 ok, cool. Might want to check in with the web hosting company that it will be able to accept emails from O365 that get routed through, but something like https://practical365.com/exchange-server/how-to-share-an-email-domain-between-two-mail-systems/ is probably what you are after.

Good luck! Would be good to know how you get on with it.

Mark

Thanks Mark,
I'll give this a go and report back.
I will have to research this to a greater degree.
These lines in the above link leaves a few unanswered questions.
"Now that the domain type has been changed we need a Send Connector to tell Exchange where to send the emails that do not have a local recipient.

[PS] C:\>New-SendConnector -Name "Internal Relay" -Custom -AddressSpaces mycompany.local -SmartHosts 10.8.0.25 -SourceTransportServers ex2007.mycompany.local

Identity AddressSpaces Enabled
-------- ------------- -------
Internal Relay {smtp:mycompany.local;1} True
[PS] C:\>New-SendConnector -Name "Internal Relay" -Custom -AddressSpaces mycmpany.local -SmartHosts 10.8.0.25 -SourceTransportServers ex2007.mycompany.local

Identity AddressSpaces Enabled
-------- ------------- -------
Internal Relay {smtp:mycompany.local;1} True

In that example the IP address of the other email system is 10.8.0.25, and the Hub Transport server to use to send the emails is ex2007.mycompany.local."