Can't save document in Word (can in Excel)

Copper Contributor

The basic problem is I can't save a document in Word (ProPlus Version 1708 8431.2215 click to run). I can in Excel. When I try Save As none of the available options work. Pressing Browse does nothing. I can navigate thru the presented "previous locations" but can't save the file. If I press Save, it doesn't do anything. when I close Word, the Save dialog comes up but pressing Save does nothing. I saw in another thread about saving in WordPad, this works.

I've done so many things to try to solve this problem I can't tell you what version I started with that first created the problem. However, I will describe what I did today that changed things.

I have a personal Office 365 Account blahblah@outlook.com. When I woke up this morning this was the account that my license was tied to. Today, I signed up to be a Microsoft Partner and purchased the Action Pack. This gave me an E3 license and ProPlus. Which I needed because I wanted some features included in Excel (among other things).

So I proceeded to convert my Office license over to that account. I honestly can't remember how we did it, but someone from Microsoft helped me. Once I did that, I was unable to Save a document in Word or Excel. Unfortunately they were gone before I realized it. I have been on the phone with Microsoft support for hours trying to fix the problem. At some point, Excel started to work. The only resolution they were able to come up with is to start Word in Safe Mode. It seems to work.

I've tried Quick Repair. I've tried Online Repair. I've done the "Uninstall Office Completely" fix tool. Then reinstalled office. this did not solve the problem. I went into Credential Manager and removed all the Office16 entries. I've also uninstalled the ProPack and reinstalled the Office 365 version that was on the computer this morning....logged into the same account.....no change.

I'm really at a loss. I can't imaging having to run Safe Mode all the time. 

3 Replies

I had Box Tools Installed.

This is the Dropbox addin that allows you to open directly from the sight and save back into the site without downloading to your computer....once I uninstalled that....I got my functionality back.

Had the same problem.  One of our IT guys started Excel in Safe mode, and then saved a file.  Now, it seems to work fine.  So I'd recommend starting Excel in Safe mode, saving anything, and then shutting Excel down.  It worked for my system.  

If you have something that you created, and would lose that data, you may want to email it to yourself, before you shut Excel down.

By the way, my problem was in Excel, but I assume all Office products will have the same problem and solution, in this area.