Can't get an access to university account in Outlook Desktop.

Copper Contributor

Hello! Asking for some help here :)

Can't get an access to university account in Outlook Desktop.
email: Ihor.tymoshiv@student.uclouvain.be
Mail connection - office portal 365: tymoshiv@oasis.uclouvain.be

The program is loading after entering an email and then asking for a password unlimited amount of times after entering it. When I'm closing that window the program shows me an error like "Outlook cannot set up your account"

I was trying to enter both emails.

I haven't use a desktop app before 
I can login in a browser without troubles

I can even add a Hotmail, Gmail and an outlook of my another university
but not this university account
I took an option "Setup an account manually" and chose between 365office/outlook/Microsoft exchange - didn't help

online support adviced me to call here:
United States
1 800 865 9408

but i'm not able to call there now :(

9 Replies
One of two things here I think might be the issue.
1. That university only gives you an Exchange Online Plan 1 or F1 license, which only allows for webmail access to your e-mail. You can verify your license by logging into your webmail and click your picture in top right > My Account, then subscriptions.
2. Does your account have two-factor setup? This usually will happen if you have Two factor setup but Modern Auth is not enabled on the tenant, probably not this one but this will cause the issue as well.

looks like the first point is an issue:

Office 365 A1 for students
To-Do (Plan 2)
Flow for Office 365
Microsoft Forms (Plan 2)
Sway
Skype for Business Online (Plan 2)
Exchange Online (Plan 1)
Power BI (free)
Power BI (free)
Office 365 ProPlus for students
OneDrive for Business (Plan 1)

And no, I'm using only password to log in (if I understood you well)

So, is there any chance to change a plan? If yes, I can ask for it in Office support or local administrators?
According to this A1 should provide outlook connectivity. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/office-365-platform-service-descripti...

I guess the university could have a wonky auto discover configuration or something but you should be able to connect. Does outlook mobile connect to it?
Something you can use to test all this out is the Remote connectivity analyzer. This will test all the different things under the Office 365 tab for connectivity, and Outlook connectivity has two tests you can run to see if it comes back clean: https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/

DNS seems like it's OK, from what I can tell from the outside. Have you downloaded Office from the portal and activated it with your Office 365 user?

These kinds of problems is best solved by your IT-department, as they know their setup and most likely deal with these kinds of questions daily.
Testing Outlook connectivity.
 The Outlook connectivity test failed.

Additional Details

Test Steps

The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to test Autodiscover for ihor.tymoshiv@student.uclouvain.be.
 Testing Autodiscover failed.
The Microsoft Connectivity Analyzer is attempting to test Autodiscover for ihor.tymoshiv@student.uclouvain.be.
 Testing Autodiscover failed.

Additional Details

Test Steps

Attempting each method of contacting the Autodiscover service.
 The Autodiscover service couldn't be contacted successfully by any method.

Additional Details

Test Steps

Failed to test both :(

Yes, I have downloaded Office from the portal and activated it with my Office 365 user

If you cannot connect to auto discover then you're Outlook won't be able to successfully connect. You're going to have to contact their IT support to figure out how to properly set that up.

ok, thank you very much!