SOLVED

Can't change calendar events on outlook.office.com if created with Google Calendar on my phone

Copper Contributor

If I create a calendar event on my phone, then go to outlook.office.com and edit the event, the edit's are not saved.  A little message on the bottom of my browser Windows says "Couldn't Save Event.

I'm using Chrome browser on Apple IOS 10.13.6.  My phone is Pixel 2XL running Android Pie.  The calendar app on my phone is Google Calendar. 

If I go to outlook 2010 (v14) on my Win 7 computer, I can edit and save a calendar event created on my phone, but the web version of Outlook won't let me.

6 Replies

Same here, but from an iphone. I believe I read something about making sure my Outlook email is in my "me" card on iphone? 

Otherwise Outlook.com works great and our whole company loves it. 

@Scott216 

I was not able to reproduce the error. What would be helpful though is to catch an F12 Network Trace when trying to edit the event in outlook.office365.com and you see the error. Then you can private message it to me!

@Julia Foran 

Similar issue - created event on phone and can't edit on outlook office 365. Looks like a problem with custom time zones being set somehow. That is the only difference I see in requests that work and ones that don't. 

Here is a request that successfully changed the time of an appointment created via 0365 online:

action=UpdateCalendarEvent&n=88&app=Calendar
{"__type":"UpdateCalendarEventJsonRequest:#Exchange",
"Header":{"__type":"JsonRequestHeaders:#Exchange","RequestServerVersion":"V2018_01_08","TimeZoneContext":{"__type":"TimeZoneContext:#Exchange","TimeZoneDefinition":{"__type":"TimeZoneDefinitionType:#Exchange","Id":"Eastern Standard Time"}}},
"Body":{"__type":"UpdateCalendarEventRequest:#Exchange",
"EventId":{"__type":"ItemId:#Exchange","Id":"redacted"},"ItemChange":{"__type":"ItemChange:#Exchange","Updates":[{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"Start"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","Start":"2019-06-07T09:00:00.000"}},{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"StartTimeZoneId"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","StartTimeZoneId":"Eastern Standard Time"}},{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"End"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","End":"2019-06-07T09:30:00.000"}},{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"EndTimeZoneId"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","EndTimeZoneId":"Eastern Standard Time"}}],"ItemId":{"__type":"ItemId:#Exchange","Id":"redacted"}},"EventScope":0}}

Here is a request that failed to change the time of an event created on my iphone via the ios calendar when I tried to change it in O365:

action=UpdateCalendarEvent&n=97&app=Calendar
{"__type":"UpdateCalendarEventJsonRequest:#Exchange",
"Header":{"__type":"JsonRequestHeaders:#Exchange","RequestServerVersion":"V2018_01_08","TimeZoneContext":{"__type":"TimeZoneContext:#Exchange","TimeZoneDefinition":{"__type":"TimeZoneDefinitionType:#Exchange","Id":"tzone://Microsoft/Custom"}}},
"Body":{"__type":"UpdateCalendarEventRequest:#Exchange",
"EventId":{"__type":"ItemId:#Exchange","Id":"redacted"},"ItemChange":{"__type":"ItemChange:#Exchange","Updates":[{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"Start"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","Start":"2019-06-07T08:00:00.000"}},{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"StartTimeZoneId"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","StartTimeZoneId":"Eastern Standard Time"}},{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"End"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","End":"2019-06-07T09:00:00.000"}},{"__type":"SetItemField:#Exchange","Path":{"__type":"PropertyUri:#Exchange","FieldURI":"EndTimeZoneId"},"Item":{"__type":"CalendarItem:#Exchange","EndTimeZoneId":"Eastern Standard Time"}}],"ItemId":{"__type":"ItemId:#Exchange","Id":"redacted"}},"EventScope":0}}

@Julia Foran 

Can you be more specific on how to catch an F12 network trace error.  When I press F12 I get a window with lots of web programming stuff.  But I don't know how to find the error this way.  BTW, I'm using Chrome browser.

best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
This is a regression that we have recently fixed. The fix is currently being deployed and should reach 100% saturation by this Friday.

It is indeed related to custom time zones set by third party clients.
If the fix has not reached your mailbox yet, some possible workarounds are:
a. Change the event's time zone to some other value and back before saving, or
b. Use another Outlook client to do the update. Subsequent edits should be possible in OWA

I apologize for the inconvenience
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution
This is a regression that we have recently fixed. The fix is currently being deployed and should reach 100% saturation by this Friday.

It is indeed related to custom time zones set by third party clients.
If the fix has not reached your mailbox yet, some possible workarounds are:
a. Change the event's time zone to some other value and back before saving, or
b. Use another Outlook client to do the update. Subsequent edits should be possible in OWA

I apologize for the inconvenience

View solution in original post