SOLVED

Can Office 365 DLP scan for password protected compressed files and Office Files

Steel Contributor

Can Office 365 DLP scan for password protected compressed files and Office Files?

thanks

8 Replies

Nope. But you can define an action to take on "inaccessible" files.

@Vasil Michev How do we scope those "inaccessible files" in DLP Policy?

You have to add an "​Any email attachment's content could not be scanned​" or "​Attachment is password protected​" type of condition.

Hi @Vasil Michev 

I tried but there is no option for "​Any email attachment's content could not be scanned​" or "​Attachment is password protected​" in DLp conditions:

condition.JPG

best response confirmed by Marvin Oco (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Look below that, the "add a condition" button, as it's a new Condition.

@Marvin Oco 

Based on my testing Microsoft 365 Purview DLP policy can detect sensitive content even the file is protected by password. Take note I'm refering to a data at rest and not data on transit. So I created a sample work documents with sample credit card number and I apply password protection on the documents. I uploaded the file in my OneDrive for Business, and moments later I save the Policy tips saving the file contains Credit Card numbers.. So yeah DLP can scan files protected by password. Another test is I compressed a documents that contrains Credit Card number (But the file is not password protected) and upload it in my OneDrive for Business, again the same result my DLP policy is able to scan the zipped files.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Marvin Oco (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Look below that, the "add a condition" button, as it's a new Condition.

View solution in original post