Can I share my 365 subscription abroad?

Copper Contributor

Hi, I have an Office 365 subscription and my son is moving abroad for a sudy project.  Can I allocate one of my Office 365 entitlements to him so that he can use Office 365 while abroad?

Clearly he will need the password to my account but will that enable him to 'manage' my subscription and 'mess around' with who can use my Office 365 subscription?

In a nutshell I guess I'm asking if I can limit him to the one entitlement, only one entitlement and not allow him access to anything other than that one entitlement (like a gf he may want to impress! :) )

4 Replies
If you mean entitlement by one of your office installs then no. He will have your account info and be able to do anything as it’s you. Technically you should be getting him his own license as it’s he user ;).

If this is home office sub and your talking about one of the extra users then he can be given a user etc. and not be set as an admin so they stay in their bubble per say.

Hi Chris and thanks for your reply but ... I haven't a clue what "If this is home office sub and your talking about one of the extra users then he can be given a user etc. and not be set as an admin ..." all I know is I pay Microsoft some money and they tell me I can have up 5 (or is it 6 installs).  So I have no idea what the difference is between your first paragraph and your second paragraph other than it seems to be yet another example of "let's make this as complicated as possible!" :o

It's not complicated. 5 or 6 installs means 5 or 6 devices you own. It's a user license so it's tied to you and your devices. Technically your kid should have their own subscription. If they are using your login and your device it is what it is, but they will have your rights if they have your login.
What I meant by home subscription is the type of subscription you paid for. That one allows you to have multiple accounts for your family. if It’s personal then it’s per user and for yourself on a single account. Here are the editions. https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/office

If you bought business 365 version. Those are all single licenses.