Can I limit the size of a specific user folder, or be notified when it hits a certain size?

Copper Contributor

We have been tasked with a rolling 1 year automatic email deletion policy within office 365, to reduce the amount of old emails within the system. However, he wants an excluded folder called archive or the like, though I think Outlook 2016 may already have a folder named that. The execs want this folder to be excluded from the deletion policy, and I have found a way to do that, but they are afraid people will just dump all their old emails in it and no reduction will be accomplished. It’s designed really only for important emails one might need to refer back to after more than a year. They want to folder to either be capped at a certain space size, or to notify me if it reaches a specific amount, say 5 GB. Any ideas, maybe 3rd party apps or services that could assist?

1 Reply

There's nothing service-side that can limit the size of individual folders, but you can adjust the data synced to the local profile via the "cache slider" or the Sync options on the folder level. As for notifications, you can schedule some PowerShell script to periodically check the size of the folders and generate report per user, etc.