block download and copy option in Microsoft Office365 OneDrive.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I'm trying to disable the download and copy option in Microsoft Office365 OneDrive admin center . do you have any ideas about this topic.

Thank You,

OneDrive for Business SecurityAdmin

4 Replies
You cannot without utilizing managed devices and conditional access. Here is an article for blocking download: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-app-security/use-case-proxy-block-session-aad

As for copy, you won't be able to block this because it copy's from one site to another, not copy to your device so it stays contained in your environment.

@Saurav_Jha you don't need to use cloud app security (which needs E5) as @Chris Webb mentioned, you can just use a sharepoint access control policy:

SharePoint Access Policies

SharePoint policies will be configured to prevent downloading attachments using SharePoint or OneDrive on the web, when outside the network.

• Open the SharePoint Admin Center
  • If it shows ‘Check out the new SharePoint admin center’ click Try it Now.
  • Click Policies > Access Control.
  • Unmanaged devices: Allow limited, web-only access
  • Idle Session timeout: Sign out users after 30 minutes. Give them this much notice before signing them out: 5 minutes.
  • Apps that don’t use modern authentication: Block access.

Now you'll also need a conditional access policy to apply this, create one applying to Exchange and Sharepoint Online, and choose 'Use app enforced restrictions'. Apply to a group of test users first.

This will then prevent attachment downloading.

FYI you can do a similar thing for Outlook web:

Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity OwaMailboxPolicy-Default -ConditionalAccessPolicy ReadOnly

Hi dear, My user name is ededking7, and I just bought an HP ENVY Photo 6255 for personal photo printing. Can anyone be so kind to help me find the best application (APP) that would work best with it? Thanks,
What CloudHal said ;p. I meant to link to what he was saying but just didn’t read that article to see it was using that method, oops ;).