Block 3rd Party Mail Apps

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

Is it possible to block users from logging into their Office 365 accounts via 3rd party iOS apps such as MyMail which is found on the Appstore/Play Store ? 

Link to MyMail:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mymail-email-app/id722120997?mt=8

We're in the process of migrating all users to Outlook for iOS/Android. If corporate owned, they will enroll via the Company Portal app and have Outlook, Work, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams, OneDrive & Authenticator auto installed/pushed. If they are BYOD, I need them to only use Outlook for iOS/Android with an app password forced via Intune App Protection Policy.

I've attempted disabling ActiveSync, + OWA for Devices within O365. No luck.

Appreciate any input. 

Cheers
Brett

2 Replies

Are you using the O365 built-in MDM capabilities or Intune? Or are you asking in general how to block specific apps? The ActiveSync settings only cover applications using the said protocol, if the app uses EWS or the new REST API (or even the archaic POP/IMAP protocols), you can use the corresponding controls for Set-CasMailbox or Set-OrganizationConfigto block it.

We're using Intune, however we'd prefer we block any 3rd party Mail/Calendar app for both managed & unmanaged devices. It seems the "MyMail" app attaches to servers/services outside of the US which is a concern for us.

I'll read up Set-Mailbox  & Set-OrganizationConfigto and report back. Thanks for you input Vasil.