SOLVED

AutoUpdate for Mac is not working

Iron Contributor

Microsoft Office AutoUpdate for Mac is not working. The issue exists since several days. The manual update to the latest version works flawlessly, only the automatic updates no longer work.
Error message: "Updates are temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes."

I don't use a proxy.

I first completely uninstalled the Autoupdate and removed all the related individual files.
Then I installed the newest version 4.35, and the same error occurred as before.
Then I completely uninstalled it again and installed version 4.4. Then the auto update program worked again (as before). However, it wanted to install further Autoupdate versions, first 4.7, then 4.9 and then finally 4.35. And now comes the same error message.
Is it a bug in the current version?

31 Replies

This fix worked for me quickly and easily. thanks.

@octogonz --Thanks--everyone should use this simple and works great!!

ctogonz replied to Fareed Fattal
‎Jun 09 2022 03:04 PM

This page has troubleshooting tips:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot-microsoft-autoupdate-in-microsoft-365-and-of...

I solved my problem using the link at the bottom of that page to "download the installer for the latest version of AutoUpdate"
Here's the preceding code as a one liner run in a terminal shell:

launchctl stop /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist \
&& launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist \
&& launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

@octogonz 

This worked perfectly by downloading a new AutoUpdater. Thank you!

Worked for me.

@chekinnetik     12/2022  This solution worked for me as well. After running the commands in Terminal it was necessary for me to go to System Preferences>General>Login Items and ensure it was okay for MS AutoUpdate to run in the background. After that, it worked fine.  

Following up -- six months later I had the same problem again on a new MacBook. This fix still works to solve it:

Follow the steps under Install latest version of AutoUpdate on this page.

@AtanasM 

Ran the Terminal scripts, with no result until updating the MS Autoupdate and running the update on each app separately. The system finally updates to 16.7

@AtanasM - Thank you for the commands. I found after the commands were run in the terminal, I received another message to change the system setting for allowing Microsoft Autoupdate permission to load the updates, once I turned this setting on, it works!

Thanks

Yes, updating the apps one at a time worked for me, too. Easy fix! I'm running Microsoft AutoUpdate 4.60 on a MacBook M1. @Stuart Travers 

This worked for me. Thank you