Automatically provision OneDrive for Business site for end user when adding O365 license

Brass Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to automatically provision OneDrive for Business site for end users when adding O365 license?

I know that we can use Request-SPOPersonalSite CMDlet and PreProvision scripts, but it would be great if this can be set up more easily.

Example: User gets Office 365 license and system automatically provisions user OneDrive.

Regards, Joonas

13 Replies
AFAIK there's no way to do that on the portal. You could combine pre-provisioning scripts with Licensing scripts. Here's a good example:
http://www.questiondriven.com/2016/01/19/office-365-license-user-and-provision-onedrive-via-powershe...
Agree with Pablo here...if your problem is the use of PowerShell, then you should invest some time on checking if you can get the same with a third party tool

I’ve actually done this for one of my clients.  When the need to add a new users, they simply put the UPN/email address in a SharePoint list along with the two character location code.  Adding an item to the list, triggers some PowerShell running in Azure Automation to appropriate license the users in Office 365 as well as provision OneDrive for Business.

There are a few different ways you could trigger the PowerShell, but the end of the day, PowerShell is going to be at the heart of your solution for this.

Sounds like a great workaround!

Still wishing that there could be much simpler solution for this.

Did you use some automation to get user in SharePoint list or just manually added it there?

I just manually added users to the SP List.  However, you could easily automate that part if you had a CSV file with all the users...or some other way you wanted to automatically add users to the list.

Do you have more details on how this is accomplished?

@Aubrey Marshall, I don't have any examples or scripts that are publicly available right now.  Working on a way to provide solutions like this easier and also have it on my to-do list to write a blog post that would give a little more detail on how this process might work.

I have a presentation I did recently here - https://collab365.community/hood-6-automating-sharepoint-online-powershell-azure-automation-flow/.  It doesn't give the step-by-step details, but does provide some additional details into how I did it.

We've noticed that in the last few weeks, OneDrive for Business is automatically provisioned for a user when they are assigned a SharePoint Online license. (or at least that appears to be what is happening)

Oh, that would be really nice if it's provisioned as soon as the license is assigned now. I'll have to check that out, thanks for the tip Rob!

Also, glad to hear you enjoy the podcast...always fun to know people actually listen to Scott and I and our thoughts on Office 365 and Azure  :)

Any specific topics you want us to cover or questions you want answered in an upcoming episode? :)

Has anyone find out if this issue with OneDrive accounts not provisioning until the user clicks on the OneDrive portal icon? is this beheaviour for all Subscriptions within Office 365? or is it only for certain  subscriptions like EDU? GOV? GCC? DOD? Non-Profit? can someone confirm? I did support for Business Premium accounts are when this happened it was back when the good ole Business Premium came to change the older licensing and they were turning off Public Websites.

@Rob Ellis is this a fact? one of my clients has 13k users. if so this would make it easier.

@Fernando Melo

Yes this is how it works now and has for some time - My company controls OD access tightly for right now and SP access. So naturally if a users SP license is off - Then OD does not/is not provisioned (At least that is what I have seen and makes perfect sense)

However, once I turn on SP for approved people. Usually within a hr the users OD is provisioned.