SOLVED

attachments in Outlook

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone, 

When attaching a file to an email in outlook, sometimes it is attached as a link to Sharepoint which allows for collaboration and sometimes it is attached as a file requiring it to be downloaded, edited and uploaded to Sharepoint again. How can I make attaching the file from Sharepoint by default ? 

Thanks & Regards,

Chaitanya

19 Replies
best response confirmed by Chaitanya Krishna Potabattula (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi! 

If you attach a file from SharePoint or OneDrive you have the ability to attach them as a shared link or attach a copy of the file!

In "file" -> "Options" under general, scroll down a little bit and under attachments options you may choose to by default:

* Attach as link

* Attach as copy

* Always Ask

See picture below: ( Excuse my lousy red circle )

attach.PNG

Hi Adam,

I have previously selected the first option but it never worked. I now changed it to share always as Links. Will see how it works. Thanks and good day.

Make sure you are sending the mail  from an office 365 account and also that the file exists in office 365

Please let me know if it works or not :)

Cheers / Adam

Despite choosing to be shared as a link always, the attachments are still being attached as a file and not a link to the file on SharePoint. (I understand they are being downloaded from SharePoint)
Yeah when you attach the file, it needs to be from your recent files list and the file has to live on OneDrive or SharePoint online location to be shareable, also the site you shared the file from also has to allow for sharing of the files.

I'm going to assume you see SharePoint URL and it's always your OneDrive thou since OneDrive is SharePoint.

Thing is the file has to be stored in a folder that is connected to sync with, if the file is not in a folder you are syncing such as downloads for example (assuming you didn't redirect it) would only attach since it doesn't sync to OneDrive.

You may browse a SharePoint/onedrive location but try sharing the file directly from SharePoint to some address to see if sharing is possible..

It is from the recent files list and it is on SharePoint (O365 SharePoint - I am thus sure it is on cloud). The SharePoint location as well as the site are shareable. I also confirm I see a SharePoint URL.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "folder connected to sync with". Are you saying that this document library (SharePoint Site) should be syncing with my Computer / One Drive? If yes, I confirm they are syncing as well. Given all the requirements you suggested are fulfilled, I am not sure what is making the files to be shared as attachments and not as link to the files on SharePoint.
I confirm sharing is enabled and possible.

You mean you got it working?

oh no, sorry for the confusion.. I was confirming sharing is enabled on the SharePoint site and project folder. The problem that the files in the folder are being shared only as attachments and not as links still persists.

Do you have more than one account configured?

Well I do know that you can only do the shared link method with Office files, but while testing this myself, mine just started attaching cloud files by default without asking me to share a link. Restarting Outlook corrected the behavior, but wondering if their might be a bug here. Going to keep an eye on it myself.

No. There is only one account configured
Thank you...pls do share your findings as you get them.
Night be a bug that @Chris Webb mentioned! Check for updates / restart application. You could also try doing a repair! It’s a long shot but with a try! It do actually solve problems now and then

Adam
OK, so found out what is going on with mine.

Do you have more than one mailbox / account / additional mailbox tied to your Outlook? If you reply to someone from one of your other account then link a file from onedrive it won't work, the account must show in the "From" box that it's from your account. Betting you might be responding to an e-mail that you have from another account then trying to attach and that's why it's acting like that. You can still access recent files, but the Share link dialog will only come up if your sending From: your main account.

Could this possibly be your case as well?
I think we went through that regarding the account, but it’s completely true! It must be sent from the 365 account!
Although I experienced today also this is not working! I tried it yesterday and it was working, so I figure if there’s something going on!!
Hi Chris, it's true that there are more than one accounts tied to my Outlook. However, only one of them is a O365 account and that is selected as the default and preferred account. Thus, whenever I respond to any email or start a new email, my O365 account is the default "from" account. With that said, the problem of the attachments (file instead of a link) still persists.
you mean something going on with Outlook from O365? If yes, should this be reported to Microsoft ?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Chaitanya Krishna Potabattula (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi! 

If you attach a file from SharePoint or OneDrive you have the ability to attach them as a shared link or attach a copy of the file!

In "file" -> "Options" under general, scroll down a little bit and under attachments options you may choose to by default:

* Attach as link

* Attach as copy

* Always Ask

See picture below: ( Excuse my lousy red circle )

attach.PNG

View solution in original post