Archive Rentention policy removing calendar entries

Brass Contributor

Hi

I have just implemented a retention policy on our corporate mailboxes for the first time and it was set to archive emails over 6 months old to an 'In-Place' archive. There are no delete settings so the intention at the moment is to keep all emails over 6 months old in the archive.

Users have found that calendar entries older than 6 months are being removed. I didn't see this in the guidance so I just want to understand the relationship, is it possible to reinstate them. I have deleted them so they must be archived somewhere?

Alistair

8 Replies

It is actually mentioned in the documentation, last bullet here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/security-and-compliance/messaging-records-management/defau...

As mentioned in that article, if you don't want the Default tag to apply to these folders, you will have to include a Calendar tag and set its properties to "disable retention".

Hi

Thanks that's my mistake. If the calendar entries are archived is it possible to get restore those items.

Alistair

It's possible, but not in an automatic way unfortunately, as we don't have any "revert retention policy" type of functionality. Closest you can get is to use some EWS-based script that copies/moves items between the archive and the main mailbox, here's a sample one: https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/office/PowerShell-Merge-mailbox-e769c529

You can modify it to include just calendar items and just specific time range. Other than that, it's manually moving the items...

Hi

Thanks. It might be that the best way because most users probably don't care.  I can't see where they are now held in order to move them back?

Alistair

They should be in the same folder under the Online Archive.

Hi

My 'In-Place' archive folder doesn't have a calendar folder. I am using O365 thought OWA

Alistair

Not so sure you can access it through OWA. You can in Outlook folder view.

As the Calendar folder is "special", it's kinda hidden from the nav pane in OWA. Technically you should be able to open it by providing the correct path, but that requires the mile-long folderid, which in turn you need to get via PowerShell/EWS. So use Outlook as Chris suggested, or the EWS-based script I linked to above.