Anyone using Node-Red in combination with Office365 ?

Steel Contributor

"Node-RED is a programming tool for wiring together hardware devices, APIs and online services in new and interesting ways."

I'm wondering if anyone in the community is using node-red in combination with O365 ?

examples:

retrieving data via REST API from O365 and use them in whatever flow ?

or...post certain events from a node-red flow to a MS Teams channel?

please share your opinion and examples (in case you have examples :)

thank you

11 Replies

Hi Stefan,

I am interested in doing the same, using Node Red; have you made some progress?

Thanks!

Marc

In what ways is this not just an IBM version of Microsoft Flow?

yes, node-red was initiated by ibm, but it is driven by a nice community :)

if you compare the amount of triggers within node-red with the "175 triggers" MS flow offers at the moment, then i would say that the open community of node-red offers much more

https://flows.nodered.org/

the main target group for MS Flow (in my opinion) are the Endusers

-->if there is a new file on onedrive, then do whatever)

..whereas with Node-red you have plenty of things for system people (and all the folks who are interested in this IoT topic)

one example:

there is no ms flow thingie available for Apache Kafka. Kafka is in my case one key element which i use to re-route all differnt things (and to use it in combination with node-red).

If you miss a "Node", then just develope it yourself....

there are for sure dozens/hundreds of other usecases.

as said, MS Flow is cool stuff...but just targeting endusers which is in my case the wrong group of people.

Stefan,

Thanks forthe info!

I want to use Node red with Skype and I am looking for some guidance.  If you have something to share, I would appreciate it!

Regards,

Marc

Hello Marc,

what Skype things you want to cover?
A notification to a skype chat?
Notified whenever a specific user starts a conference?

Old lync backend or the new skype backend within teams?
Tell me your use case and i can hopefully give you a proper answer :)

Stef
Hello Marc,

what Skype things you want to cover?
A notification to a skype chat?
Notified whenever a specific user starts a conference?

Old lync backend or the new skype backend within teams?
Tell me your use case and i can hopefully give you a proper answer :)

Stef

Hi Stefan,

I am looking to exchange messages between Office 365 products and other services.

For example, create a message in Sharepoint and the user will receive a Skype or Teams message along with an email in Outlook but also, a text via SMS.  Node Red will allow me to efficiently connect with other services other than Microsoft such as SMS or other messaging platforms.

Thanks!

Marc

Flow is built on Azure Logic Apps, you can create additional connectors in logic apps, of export your flow and import it to logic apps to develop it further.

Kafka has various options for endpoints, for example HTTP which would be trivial for Flow to call.

Flow has existing, rich connectors for SharePoint, Skype, Teams, Email etc. If you want to send SMS then your would typically send an email to a gateway service of some kind, most mobile operators provide them.

Flows access to Office 365 is fully documented as open APIs known as the Microsoft graph, it would be entirely possible for the Node-Red community to develop against it. It's documented at https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph

Thanks Steven.

I will work with Microsoft Graph and Flow.  I appreciate the input! 

Regards,

Marc

Hi Stefan,

Yes we use Node-Red quite extensively with Office365, Flow and PowerApps.

Flow is awesome and extremely easy to use, but it happens from time to time that you need to run an on premises instance workflow and Node-Red is very good at this. It is not as easy to use as Flow is, but it is very expandable without additional costs.

We did a project recently where we needed PowerApps to RX data in a MongoDB (not Cosmos DB, Mongo) and we used Node-Red and agilite.io for this. The solution is amazing and PowerApps is a great front end for the solution. The MongoDB, Node-Red and Agilit-e instances are on premises so although Flow can interact with the solution (and is used as an API proxy to give external parties access to the system), to just use Flow for this would not have been an option for this particular solution.

Node-Red is also great for IOT and I recently saw some guys using it with Azure IOT Hub.

I also saw some videos from Agilit-e where Node-Red is used in conjunction with the MS Bot framework and it works great.

Would be great to hear what you have been using Node-Red for on O365\Azure\Power Platform?

@Stefan Fried 

You can find a full guideline and an example flow how to implement this here: 

https://stackoverflow.com/a/64340862/13013073