Accessing Sharepoint files from Outlook

Copper Contributor

Hello all, 

This is my first time posting on here and I literally just got office 365 for my team of 5 yesterday so I'm a bit new to this and I apologize in advance if this question seems amateur; however, I cannot find the answer via search so I'm through it out here. 

We are using sharepoint to consolidate and share files internally, but we also need to share our files with people outside the organization. So I was really surprised that I wasn't able to easily grab files from sharepoint and attach them to emails in outlook (I use outlook desktop app). I've tried and tried, but I can't figure it out. 

Here's the deal- we have macs and PC's on my team (I use a mac). So I've seen that maybe there's a way to do this, but only with a PC? But that just doesn't make sense to me...? Why wouldn't Microsoft have made the apps consistent in all platforms...? I feel like this is a major shortcoming of the office 365 platform if we aren't able to take files directly from sharepoint and pull them into emails as attachments...? Seems like a no-brainer. 

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance! 

Best,

Scott 

4 Replies
Are you using Outlook 365 Desktop? If so, you should be able to attach files from SharePoint sites
Hi Juan! Thank you for your reply! I am on outlook desktop app, yes. Some of my team is on the windows platform and I am on a Mac, but we all use the outlook desktop app. If you could explain how to access the share point files from the desktop app, I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

To all that might come across this thread in the future, I am giving you a heads up that I figured it out, although it does not work consistently for everyone in my organization. The main way that I was able to sort this out was through downloading the OneDrive app to my desktop on my mac and the other PC's in the organization. From there, I went to Sharepoint and selected "Sync" which allowed me to add the sharepoint folders to the OneDrive desktop app. And while this worked for me, it has not worked for everyone in my organization, despite updating all software to ensure everything is up-to-date. The other mac in the office is specifically giving us trouble and even our IT guy can't figure it out. So that is our main issue. However, for me, downloading the OneDrive app and then syncing the sharepoint folders is what did the trick. I now have desktop access to all documents in all my sharepoint sites, which easily allows me to attach those files to emails if need be.  Best of luck to all users out there. I hope this post was helpful!

Hi @scott011709 

Please checkout Cito. 

https://www.cito-share.com/

BR

Ronny