Office 365 Network Onboarding tool POC update

Microsoft

Earlier this week we published an update to this tool at https://connectivity.office.com.

We are actively developing this tool in support of your networking evaluation. Please continue to test out the proof of concept and provide feedback. Our teams next planned release is the private preview in the Microsoft 365 Admin Center which you can read about here: http://aka.ms/netignite

If you have used the tool before, I’d recommend using SHIFT-F5 with the new release the first time you are back. Here’s the changes:

1. Compatibility with Edge Chromium. ClickOnce deployed applications are not enabled by default in Edge and a message will be shown when using Edge Chromium explaining how to turn this on. If you haven’t enabled it, expect to see an error that contains this text “System.Deployment.Application.InvalidDeploymentException (Zone)”
  2. We corrected an error reporting on the client DNS server where IPv6 DNS servers were not tested correctly.
  3. For proxy servers and DNS recursive resolvers we now test distance first with ICMP, and then with TCP Ping, and then with IP Address geolocation.
  4. Corrected an error on the map where a single Microsoft datacenter was identified by two names and shown as overlapping.
  5. Although we do DNS server lookups on the test client, these are not relevant when a proxy server is in use since the actual data plan DNS lookup is done on the proxy server. We added a note to explain this if a proxy server is detected.
  6. A correction so that IP Addresses do not appear to be telephone numbers in some web browsers.
  7. If we do not detect a proxy server but we do detect SSL Inspection then we added a note that there is probably a proxy server since that’s the most likely cause of SSL Inspection.
  8. TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are deprecated but some people still have machines with those enabled. We had an exception in this situation which we’ve added code to show more gracefully.
  9. Separated the report into sections for Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Microsoft Teams
  10. Each test in the report now has a hover text for the test description.
  11. We collapse the intro text for the web page if being viewed on a smartphone sized screen.
19 Replies

@Paul Andrew Hey Paul.  I just started using this tool and I heard from another colleague that it is not very reliable.  Do you have any other reports or metrics to support or debunk this claim?

@Paul Andrew Even though ClickOnce deployed is enabled, I am still getting the error message.  Therefore running the advanced tools does not update the web page with the results.  

@SteveMash Can you ask your friend to be more specific about the problem they're talking about?

Paul

@HeathG Hi Heath, if you're seeing the error listed above specific to Click Once not being enabled, then most likely you have not successfully enabled Click Once. You can also try using Internet Explorer which will work for Click Once.

Paul

@Paul Andrew when we access the url connectivity.office.com, only the FAQ page is being displayed. Can we know when will this be available?

I've checked and its not showing up from my corp network, something would have been blocked. Tested from other network and its working.

@Prabhakar Sastry Can you share a screenshot please?

@Paul AndrewNot them, but this is what I see:

@MattBogen thanks for the screenshot. Please try SHIFT-F5 to refresh the page in your browser and see if that resolves it? We did an update a month or so ago which required this for existing users.

If not... 

Can you share your browser product name and version and your screen resolution? Also, if you are able, please try on other web browsers on the same machine?

Regards,

Paul

@Paul Andrew 

Well unless there is something to do other that clicking Enable, then I don't see how I could not properly enable ClickOnce Support.

HeathG_0-1584705113695.png

As you can see I have enabled it.  And we do not have any administrative policies that would override this setting.  I have enabled it, restarted the browser, and even rebooted the system.  I still continue to get this message when running the tool.

HeathG_1-1584705446291.png

I have tried this across multiple computers.  Some of which are stand alone computers that are not at all administratively managed.  I get the exact same behavior.  

Now the interesting thing here is while warning is displayed after enabling ClickOnce Support the advanced test works.  So this is really just a cosmetic issue.   But the bigger problem here is that I am promoting the use of this tool for clients to measure their connectivity from remote locations, like home offices.  It does not really build confidence in clients when they receive this warning.   And then it does even more damage to the client when I am forced to tell them, "Don't worry about the warning.  Its a bug and it always does that."  Therefore I wanted to let you know about this so that hopefully we could get this resolved and be able to install confidence in our mutual clients.  I know this is small in scope, but little things DO matter.  

Thanks for giving me a forum to communicate with you on this.  Also thanks for listening to me and taking these notes into consideration.  

@Paul Andrew Hi Paul, we're looking to implement split tunneling for our VPN users as per this article:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/office-365-blog/how-to-quickly-optimize-office-365-traffic-fo....

Can your tool be used to test benefits of split tunneling?  i.e. what changes should we expect to see in the results with O365 traffic (except auth) outside the tunnel?

@HeathG Hi Heath, unfortunately in HTML or JavaScript there's no way to detect if the ClickOnce setting in Edge has been enabled so we show the warning message to anyone when the new Edge browser. This is a temporary solution while we rework the installer to not depend on ClickOnce as part of the effort to move the tool from Proof of Concept to a more formal release.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Paul

@Paul Andrew 

Hello
Some time ago I was able to make this tool work with the Edge browser of Windows 10. Now the extension crashes. It crashes on Firefox, Iexplore11, Edge, new edge on Windows 10.
I tested on two different pc's. Same thing.  Too bad this product gave precious information.

@Paul Andrew 

Using New edge on windows 10 with **bleep** F5 . crash differently than without Shift F5 but still crashing (Windows 10 Entreprise 10.0.16299) 

Regards 

Laurent TERUIN

@laurent Teruin We have made several updates over the past few days. The most recent one at 5pm PST yesterday - 17 hours ago. Can you tell me the date / time when you captured these error screenshots please?

Regards,

Paul

@Paul Andrew 

HI Paul same issue this morning see video i uploaded Regards Laurent

@laurent Teruin Please use this URL to access the tool https://connectivity.office.com and use SHIFT-F5 to refresh so that you avoid the old Click Once installer that we replaced on APril 8th.

Regards,

Paul

@Paul Andrew 

Hi

So i try again today. and now the tools don't crash but you can not execut it because each time you are asked to install a .net component. I have made the test on 2 differents pc again. Same issue . check the video

regards

@laurent Teruin

Hi Laurent,

In the video I can see that you installed the ASP.NET Core Runtime which isn't the right one. You need to install the Desktop Runtime just below it on the same page. Here's a direct link to the x64 installer:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-core/thank-you/runtime-desktop-3.1.3-windows-x64-instal...

Regards,

Paul