Incorrect Network Egress Location

Copper Contributor

When I run the network connectivity test for Office 365 it shows our network egress location as KS, which is not correct, we are in Philadelphia, PA. As I understand it, Microsoft makes this determination based off our public IP address (per this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/enterprise/office-365-network-mac-perf-onboarding-too...), which I confirmed using an IP Location service that the IP shows as geographically in Philadelphia. Is this something Microsoft needs to look at? Is there anything we can do on our end to correct this?

8 Replies
Can't believe I haven't gotten a single reply. MS support has been absolutely useless too. They keep trying to say my IP isn't public because they can't perform an NSlookup on it.......Makes me wonder if any of the support technicians have a basic understanding of networking.
Can you PM me your public IP Address please? I can take a look.

Paul

@Paul Andrew We have the same problem when running M365 network connectivity manual tests from home office on a corporate laptop with VPN with split tunnelling enabled for M365 per MS proxy PAC files instructions as compared to using a personal device on the same home networking. The network path in the M365 report for those two scenarios is very similar but the tests run from corporate laptop shows egress as Vancouver, BC even though we are in Ottawa, ON. From personal device the network egress location correctly shows as Ottawa, ON. While trivial to overlook it undermines the trustworthiness of the overall report.

@sschreffler @Paul Andrew 

Hi guys. I just stumbled on this new connectivity analyzer and was playing around with it. I'm seeing the same issue. We are on Comcast fiber in Elkridge, MD but it says our egress location is in Ninnescah, KS over 1,100 miles away. 

We have been fighting this issue since Feb with Microsoft. They just say you need to set a local egress to fix this but there isn’t a person that has a clue on how to do this. Microsoft techs don’t want to help with the situation and they just blame someone else. If you look at the trace routes as soon as you hit the Microsoft network it takes you everywhere else but where it should be. They can’t even tell you how their tool is able to tell the location.

@Dan Rush We corrected the issues that Jason and John reported some time back. It was showing wrong locations for a small percentage of people. The location detection for the Microsoft 365 Admin Center network connectivity reporting is described on this doc page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Microsoft-365/Enterprise/office-365-network-mac-perf-overview

Regards,

Paul

@Paul Andrew Hey Paul the issue we are having is strange. We have random users that experience the Office 365 apps that are open become unresponsive when a user replies to an email. This is completely random. Different times, days, users, systems, etc. All systems are on the lasted Office 365 and W10 builds. All drivers are fully up to date. The only way to shutdown the apps is to restart the system. Sometimes it takes up to 3 restarts before they can use any of the office applications. 

We have been in contact with Microsoft support for over 6 months now. They have little to no help. Keep asking to run the Advanced S.A.R.A tool on the machine that is having the problem. Well to run this tool you have to be an Admin. Which defeats the purpose of using the tool. As soon as the user is logged our or restarts the system they can't reproduce the issue. The only thing support would tell us is they see packet loss. Which we resolved and then they said we need to setup local internet egress to help with latency since we are in Baltimore and our Egress is in Gig Harbor, Washington. Then back hauling to VA. When I asked how they came up with this the Tech took days to get back and gave no information. Then closed the ticket because we couldn't reproduce the issue within 24hrs. 

We tried to reopen the ticket as well but no one responds to it. Open a new ticket and get a response and have to start all over with months of back and forth. Then they go oh you need to go back to your previous ticket to get support. Which no one ever replies. 

I have worked with our ISP to verify connectivity. There was an issue with the fiber link being out of spec. That has been resolved. Worked with our MSP's Network Engineers and they can't find an issue with the network. 

Appreciate any suggestions. This has been an absolute nightmare to figure out. 

@Dan Rush Unfortunately this isn't a troubleshooting forum. Our network design tools are intended to help you find network design issues not troubleshoot errors. However we would not recommend network backhaul from the US east coast to the US west coast as this is going to cause you performance and user experience issues.

Best wishes on your troubleshooting. My 2 cents would be that you have to figure how to reproduce this and then you probably want to capture a network trace while it's occurring. And other other thing to try is see if it reproduces outside of your network where you can rule out all of the network devices between your office and Microsoft's network
Regards,
Paul